MY CHICK ATE HER EGG!!!! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TaysChicks, Dec 22, 2012.

1. TaysChicks

TaysChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    Please Please Please tell me that there are situations where it happens only once in a while!
    It was my fault!!! Usually I check AT LEAST every other day for eggs, that's about when I get them. Well, I missed a day... Thanks Christmas chaos! They had spilled their food... half the egg layed there and there was yolk all over their bedding/nesting box. Am I doomed now that they had a taste for egg? How can I stop this? Or is it just because they were hungry and bored???

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If they get the opportunity to eat an egg, like when you drop one in the coop, they'll eat it. But it doesn't mean they're going to start eating their eggs now. So don't worry. I've had egg accidents in the coop a few times and my hens luckily didn't learn the habit. I think you may get away with it this once. If you do ever have an egg eater problem read this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/six-tips-on-breaking-your-egg-eater

Very good article!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  3. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Any chance one of them just layed a bum egg??? When ours first started laying we got the occassional "soft shell" and one or two that appeared to be layed without or with poor shell... Maybe nobody ate it, but someone just had an off day?? Just a thought

4. TaysChicks

TaysChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    I'm sure they ate it, but not sure if it broke or if they wanted food so started pecking it. Not sure when they spilled there food (Which I thought I had that issue figured out haha)... But, it was up to 2 almost 3 days. There was yolk all over the nesting area and the egg was across the coop with pecked holes in, half missing. And they are first time layers.
    Thanks everyone
    Quick question for the shell... If it was soft... Do I just supply them with oyster shells with their layer pellet (16% protein)?
    thanks again.

5. iron chicken

iron chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Fayettville, Arkansas
    I throw the egg shells out to the chickens and they will eat them.(If you do this it will help make their egg shells harder.) One time I dropped an egg in the run and they all ran up and started eating it. chickens will usually eat eggs if they get cracked or broke, but this does not mean they will always eat eggs.

6. iron chicken

iron chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Fayettville, Arkansas
    Oh, and if you decide not to give them the egg shells then you can get oyster shells, but some feeds already have oyster shells in them. What kind of feed do you get?

7. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I'm guessing you don't have your chickens living near you since you don't get a chance to collect their eggs at least once a day? Is there someone where they are housed who can do this for you? If there are eggs laying around, I think they'll be tempted to continue to eat them.

Yes, if their shells are soft, add oyster shells to their coop. If you're going to use egg shells, rinse and dry them so they don't have egg left in them and crush them very finely so they don't resemble eggs at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by