my chick broke its leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenfarmer11, Aug 18, 2013.

1. chickenfarmer11

chickenfarmer11 New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    i was trying to cech her but she got away and i leaned on here leg

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry that no one has replied to your. How is your chick? Are you sure her leg is broken? If so, where is it broken (feel with your fingers--is it the feathered-part or the scaly part)?

I would try to splint her leg with a pencil, popsicle stick, or something else thin and stiff. Straighten out the leg (this will hurt her, but it is for the better), place the stick against the leg, put some gauze or another soft material on the outside to cushion it, and then bind it with tape. Make sure you don't wrap it too tightly, as you don't want to cut of circulation.

If possible, I would separate your chick from any other chicks that you have. Make sure she is warm and comfortable, minimize her stress level, and try to keep her from moving around. Don't provide any perches, and give her a nice thick layer of wood shavings as bedding. Make sure she eats and drinks, too.

For more information on splinting a chick's leg, I would search around on BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by