My chick can't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joeyg4583, Jun 7, 2010.

1. joeyg4583

joeyg4583 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Brighton
    She is three days old today and she looks perfectly formed including her legs and feet. When she stands its like she leans back on her haunches and stumbles backwards often. Most of the time she wedges herself up to brooder wall with her back to it. She is not eating or drinking. Tonight I dipped her beak in propel and hand fed her some starter crumbles and separated her from the other babies. Any idea of what the problem is and how I can fix it? PLEASE HELP!

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Give her 2 drops (1 at a time so she doesn't choke) in her mouth of Polyvisol vitamins (without iron). Do this everyday for 3 days. If she's not better, post again.

3. mathmaven

mathmaven New Egg

Jun 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've had this same problem with an 11 day old chick. I've been giving the vitamins and helping her eat but it has been 3 days now and she doesn't seem much better.

4. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a thread with info and pictures on straddle leg, mathmaven. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=41693 The band-aid hobble seems to work for some and not for others. Both of you should be aware that sometimes these little guys are born with problems that can't be fixed no matter how much time, effort, and love we put into it.

5. mathmaven

mathmaven New Egg

Jun 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks MotherJean!

6. joeyg4583

joeyg4583 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Brighton
    Thanks for the advice. I gave her the vitamins today. I hope it helps I am so worried [​IMG]

7. Georgina27

Georgina27 New Egg

Jun 16, 2015
    They'll diet their is no help enjoy it as much as possible not trying to be mean it's happened to me

8. Georgina27

Georgina27 New Egg

Jun 16, 2015
    Die I mean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by