My chick catched cold !!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shahbaz84, Feb 11, 2017.

1. shahbaz84

shahbaz84 Just Hatched

Jan 28, 2017
    My chick catched cold at night whrn temp droped to 8°c now he loose toi much weight and lazy need help[​IMG]

2. shahbaz84

shahbaz84 Just Hatched

Jan 28, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @shahbaz84 can you give some more information?

How old is your chick?
    What are his symptoms - coughing, sneezing, runny eyes/nose, wheezing, etc.?
    What does his poop look like?

Is it respiratory illness (symptoms) that you are seeing or symptoms of Coccidiosis?

Cocci can cause weakness (lethargy/lazy), huddling/puffing up, loss of balance, going off feed, diarrhea with mucous or blood.

If you suspect respiratory illness, separate him if you can, keep him warm. Provide vitamins in his water and keep him hydrated. If his symptoms worsen, then you may need antibiotics to combat any secondary infection of respiratory illness.

If it is Cocci, then you would need to give him some Corid. This is found at your local feed store.
    Corid dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

1 person likes this.
  4. shahbaz84

shahbaz84 Just Hatched

Jan 28, 2017
    Diarrhea and weight loss and

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I am assuming this is the symptoms he has?

You may want to treat with Corid just in case he has Cocci. Corid is safe to use and won't hurt him. Dosage is in the previous post.

Let us know how he is doing.

6. shahbaz84

shahbaz84 Just Hatched

Jan 28, 2017
    He died yesterday [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by