MY CHICK DIED!!!!! AGAIN!!!!!!

4 Georgia Hens

Crowing
Jan 3, 2017
Northern Georgia
I just went down into my garage, and I found a dead chick. It was wedged between the wire of my cage, with its leg sticking out. I’m literally in tears! This is my second chick to die. I don’t think it was illness, just pure stupidity. My theory is that the chick tried to escape it’s brooder; got stuck, and thrashed until it broke it’s neck. I’m down to 5 silkie chicks. I started with 7! The chicks are going to be 4wks old on Friday.
What I’m most sad about is that we bought these chicks straight run, which means the gender is un-determined. We can’t keep a rooster. If y’all pray, pray that we have some pullets!!!:fl:fl
If y’all have any information, advice, or encouragement I will gladly take it!
:love:love

Maybe try lining the wire with chicken wire so they cannot get stuck? I'm sorry, these things happen. T'was a good little silkie!

That SOOOO stinks! It's heartbreaking to lose even one! Have you thought of cutting some cardboard to go around the lower edge of the cage? I don't know how much help it would be at four weeks, but it helped protect my tiny ones (and my floors!)
As far as not being able to have a rooster goes, have you ever heard a Silkie's crow? Ours are softer, deeper and shorter than a standard roo's voice (and much quieter than our shrill banties!) You may actually be able to slip one by. And if you have kids and an HOA or some other covenant, look into a 4H waiver. It's worth a try.
Good Luck!

I just went down into my garage, and I found a dead chick. It was wedged between the wire of my cage, with its leg sticking out. I’m literally in tears! This is my second chick to die. I don’t think it was illness, just pure stupidity. My theory is that the chick tried to escape it’s brooder; got stuck, and thrashed until it broke it’s neck. I’m down to 5 silkie chicks. I started with 7! The chicks are going to be 4wks old on Friday.
What I’m most sad about is that we bought these chicks straight run, which means the gender is un-determined. We can’t keep a rooster. If y’all pray, pray that we have some pullets!!!:fl:fl
If y’all have any information, advice, or encouragement I will gladly take it!
:love:love
sorry it is hard, I would put pieces of wood up against the sides to prevent them from poking their heads out, what I did my husband made me a brooder out of wood and it is closed with one part being the door, that opens from the top with hard wire, and hard wire on one side and the rest is a box, with no windows in it, but for now I would put wood planks up against what ever you have them in, and hook it tight so they can not poke their heads out or put them in something different with hard wire cloth, that has super tiny holes,

What kind of wire? I'd think of 1/2 inch hardware cloth or even smaller 1/4 inch hardware cloth. 1/4 inch isn't as strong as 1/2 but if you'e not using it for predator protection it's plenty strong for chicks.

Sorry.. trials and tribulations.. Live and learn.
Jumbo plastic tote tubs are the safest and least expensive method of brooding chicks.
Wire walls are dangerous and deadly and also don't help retain the warmth from your heat source.
Sorry for your multi deaths. Try cutting up a cardboard box and zip tie some safety walls in place.
Good luck and good fortune.

Last edited:
What kind of wire? I'd think of 1/2 inch hardware cloth or even smaller 1/4 inch hardware cloth. 1/4 inch isn't as strong as 1/2 but if you'e not using it for predator protection it's plenty strong for chicks.
yep hard wire cloth has very tiny holes

Back
Top Bottom