my chick died?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TherryChicken, Nov 3, 2013.

1. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    I cleaned his butt from a mucus and now the chick is dead. What caused this?

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Was the chick discharging mucus from its anus? Its quite possible that it had some kind of internal problem going on. I'm sure its nothing you did by cleaning it.possibly a internal injury? That's my guess. I'm so very sorry for your loss!! Hope this helps. Best wishes

3. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Yes it was and thank you! It was one of my cream legbar chicks. I have one lonely one left that I need to find a home for.

4. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    When you cleaned his anus, was the feces dried and stuck on? Pasted vent, as this is known, can prevent a chick from eliminating, which can result in death.

Was this a chick you had hatched yourself or which was shipped to you? Shipped chicks sometimes get chilled, and pasted vent is a symptom of that.

I am sorry your chick died. [​IMG]

5. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    I htched myself and no, it was goo on his bum. It was sticking to him, but I cleaned off with a q tip, it was slimey

6. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    If it wasn't feces, how would it get "goo" on it's anus? I am confused by this.

Regardless of the source, if the anus is blocked and a chick cannot eliminate, it will die.

7. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    No, I alway check chicks 2 times daily for pastey butt. It was a goo/slime frm his bum. I don't know what it is, but I came from the chick

8. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Feces in chickens can have a number of different appearances, from slimy green stuff to fairly well stuck together clumps.

Do any of your other birds appear ill in any way?

9. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    No, one other died but everyone else is healthy or acting just fine

10. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Well, sadly, sometimes they just die. If I were you I'd focus on the ones that lived and are doing well. Sometimes we can't figure out what the cause of death like this is. Best of luck with the rest!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by