My chick has a wierd-looking dark patch,is something wrong?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by moomoo cow, Mar 3, 2017.

1. moomoo cow

moomoo cow New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    My chick was moving a lot so I couldn't get a very good picture[​IMG]. Basically, she has a darker patch of skin on her lower shoulder and she dislikes me touching it. This is a picture of her... Please tell me if there is anything wrong with her.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi[​IMG]@moomoo cow Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos and give us more information?

How old is you chick?
    Explain any other symptoms that your chick may have - not eating/drinking, lethargy, etc.

3. moomoo cow

moomoo cow New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    she is 10 days old, also she has some tail feathers and wing feathers. She runs around flapping her wings a lot. I haven't seen any other symptoms, but this is my first time with chicks so I could be missing something.[​IMG]

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If you can post photos and tell us about your concerns, we may be able to help[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  5. moomoo cow

moomoo cow New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    Sorry, my computer broke for a few days[​IMG]. The patch has gone away now and s/he is looking much better. For some reason, she is not as active as the other one. I don't know if this is normal or not so I thought that I would mention it. When her buddy enjoys jumping onto the brooder, she might just look up at her friend and cheep a bit. She is also much noisier. Would this just be a personality thing?

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you give us some photos or video of your brooder set up and the chick?
    How warm is your brooder?

Watch to see if she is huddling near the heat source and to see if she is drinking and eating well.
    If she is peeping a lot, then she may be in some type of distress - too cold, hungry, etc.

7. moomoo cow

moomoo cow New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    She seems a lot less noisy now. My brooder doesn't have a heat setting but she is not doing any huddling, and she seems to be cheeping a lot less now. She actually seems very relaxed and here is a pic...

8. moomoo cow

moomoo cow New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    So sorry, every time I try to post a photo, it doesn't work. The brooder doesn't have a heat setting but she is not huddling. Also she seems a lot more chilled now :)

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad to hear she seems to be doing better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by