My chick has gotten breathing problems overnight

Nam Nguyen

Hatching
Jun 3, 2020
I got my chicks from the store and over 3 days, one has gotten labored breathing overnight. Its sister has no problems, they are dramatically different in weight. It will occasionally drink, eat very little and when its outside it manages to keep up with its other sisters. It sounds like a song bird whenever you grab and excite it and it gasps for air, every single breath. It looks like its suffering. Occasionally it will sneeze but it won't help. The only time it stops is when it sleeps, even then it moves alot when breathing. I've checked down it's throat, felt along it, etc. Nothing. I've tried giving it things like quinoa and small bugs and it sticks right under its lower jaw, I manually pull it down. Please help me. It's been 2 days and it hasn't gotten better. I'm concerned about it not being able to eat on it's own. I hear a slight crackle in its breaths, like bending a hair clip. It looks very sad.

kellyj76

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 8, 2015
I have a chick also having a hard time breathing. She wheezes and sometimes seems like she is gasping. We are waiting for Tractor supply to open at 8 to purchase some vet-rx. I sent a video to a woman who raises hundreds kof birds and she said definitely respitory and to treat all with vet-rx

kellyj76

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 8, 2015
I also isolated her from the others in her own bin in case she didn't make it over night. I hear one other sounds raspy. And some of them are sneezing. So best to treat all.
I did stay up until 3:30 am with this one giving it a little honey water and thyme. It would eat small amounts from my had and the water I had to use a dropper. I've rubbed her throat and she relaxes a little. She slept and is up now making the same squeek sound and wheezing.

Top Bottom