1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chick has no hair on her neck!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stepaniechickie, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Stepaniechickie

Stepaniechickie Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2014
    Georgia
    My chick is maybe four weeks old or so and she has slightly ruffled feathers. I didn't think anything was amiss until she stuck out her neck upward to see me and I saw she has no feathers on her neck! It's just pink! What could be causing it?! Is it natural! I've already lost one chicken and I don't want to loose another! Especially with all the health problems this one is having!
    [​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Loss of feathers in this area IMO is most likely feather picking from others.

Don't know what your losses have been, but even one is a tragedy

But would make sure this chick is acting normal, looking healthy, eating, drinking, showing excitement for treats and in general doesn't act sick. Observe the flock and you may find out who's doing it.

3. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    I agree, my first concern is always feather picking!

4. Stepaniechickie

Stepaniechickie Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2014
    Georgia
    She's in the place by herself though! Shes eating and drinking alright she just for some reason is missing feathers.

5. Thejperez

Thejperez Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Florida
    What breed is the chick? Has This just started showing

6. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    Could she be moulting?

7. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Is it a turken, showgirl mix of some sort? I have 6 chicks with no feathers on their necks and i love it...?

8. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    Here's our Turken/Naked Neck Roo at around 9-weeks. Does she look like this? He's creepy looking and perfectly healthy!! We think he was our "surprise chick" from McMurray.

[​IMG]

9. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

Yes, that is a perfectly normal looking Turken.

10. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    (Oops! Sorry--I posted the pic of the Turken for comparison's sake! This is not the original poster's chick!)
    From the picture she posted, it looks like the feathers are gone from the chick's upper back, not the neck.
    This Turken I have (the only one I've ever had!) has been obviously featherless in the neck since day 1!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by