My chick has one eye closed he wont open it

knynrstylvr222

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 5, 2008
I hatched a chick last night almost exactly 24 hrs ago. I had to leave him alone for a little bit, wwhen I came back I noticed his one eye is closed and he doesnt seem to want to open it. Is this common, is there something I can do? The only thing I can think happened is maybe he scratched it when he was hatching last night because he kept getting his foot up by his eye. Other than that his only problem is not really a big problem cause it may not be one at all, his poo is not coming off his bottom, I think that means he needs to drink more, he doesnt seem interested in water. Can someone help me??

One of my chicks holds it eye closed most of the time too. Have not figured out why though. To try getting your chick to drink put some shiney marbles in the bottom of her water dish and just keep gently dunking her beak in the water... remember though that newly hatched chicks don't need food or water for the first 72 hours so don't be too concerned until then. good luck
wink.png

I am not 100% sure but I thik this is commen , I had two chicks like this just after hatch and was really worried but after one day it went back to normal so don't stress too much
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom