My chick is all puffed up

duck4chickens

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 21, 2013
Michigan
I have a 3 month old chick that's been puffed up for a month. This happened to her before and she felt better after a nap. I thought she was just tired but then she started to feel lighter than the other chicks and she was walking slower.

Please help!

Last edited:
Unless she is really cold, that's not normal. Is she also lethargic? Is her poo normal? It could be cocci, at this age would be the most common cause, but def. not the only one. If she is losing weight, you need to intervene. You could try corid for cocci, there is a lot of info on this site, just search coccidosis in the search bar.

Does her crop feel normal? Has she ever been wormed? She is pretty young to have a worm overload, and I'm guessing it hasn't been super hot in MI where you are. If no other symptoms present themselves, I would probably treat with corid. It won't hurt her, and if it is cocci it should help. I am not a vet though, this is just based on my rather short two years with chickens. But if she isn't gaining weight and is staying puffed up, best guess would be cocci. Has she been on medicated or non medicated feed? Does she walk okay, no injuries? Hope you figure something out!

I would have to disagree with you about your chick not being lethargic from your picture. That stance of being puffed up looks like a sick chick. It is either cold or it has coccidiosis. There does not need to be blood in the stool to be cocci. I would get cocci medicine started--Corid is best, or sulfa drugs. Here is a good link to read about it: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Last edited:
I always treat for cocci when I first start seeing this. May be overkill, but cocci will kill ALL of them and fast. I've had chicks drop like flies before and never saw a drop of blood in the poo. As soon as I started treating, I didn't lose any more. Good luck!

I'm sorry I couldn't get back to you guys. Unfortunately the chick passed a couple days ago. I still don't think it was cocci because none of the other chicks r sick like she was. Thank you for trying to help. :)

Back
Top Bottom