My chick is an escape artist :)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by rivers2011, Jun 8, 2011.

1. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    I just had to post this cuz I'm such a proud mama: my little 3.5 week old chick has discovered a way to escape from her run! The problem is that she's being quarantined there because she just came from the farmers market on Saturday (don't want the six others to catch any potential bugs from her) + her feet need to recover from all the injuries sustained there.
    After she was put into her personal tractor early this morning, I turned my back and walked to the other end of the yard to let the six older girls out of their coop. They were allowed to run around for a while and I was enjoying the sight of them having fun. Then I heard the distinct peeping of the new one (she peeps CONSTANTLY). The volume of her peeps told me that she had to be near, so there was a headcount: one, two, three, four, five, six...seven!!! She had managed to squeeze her body under her tractor to come out and play! She was having an absolute blast running around and exploring with the other girls...the only problem is that she may have lice and worms...I did another examination today and there are a couple very worrying signs, so she'll be taken to a vet next week. Now I'm just hoping my other girls don't get anything:fl

2. typnslow

typnslow Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    New Market, Al
    LOL [​IMG]
    I like the new chick already.
    pictures?

3. rivers2011

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    [​IMG]
    the most recent pic - not a great pic on the whole (a pic of his bald side for the vet, plus she's still a little wet because I hadn't finished blow-drying her after her bath), but her face is cute [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  4. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    She has pretty eyes! SO CUTE! She just wanted to play with all the others.....LOL! Adorable!

5. ChIcKeN_DiNnErS

ChIcKeN_DiNnErS Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Once he's better he will look so handsome with his full plumage when they grow back out. So cute, that he wanted to play with the others.[​IMG]

6. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    wants wrong with his back?

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Oh, wow, you did get a chick with some issues! Bless her little heart, she wants to be with the other gals.

8. rivers2011

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    yes, she LOOOOVES being with the other girls, more than anything - but keeping her separated has made her a bit more attached to me since i'm her only buddy. she still follows me around the yard as I do chores and likes to perch on my shoulder.
    and yes, she definitely does have issues! she's a little underweight, bald on one side of her back end, as shown in the picture, and there's some kind of brown scabby stuff there as well. On top of this two of her toes were broken and the bone exposed (she'll need those toes amputated) and the rest of her toes have wounds on the tops or bottoms. I'll never again buy birds from the farmer's market!
    But she is a special little girl and I've totally fallen for her [​IMG]

9. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Lucky for her she found you.

10. rivers2011

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    update: her bald patch is growing in FINALLY! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by