My chick is changing sex!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by oesdog, Dec 26, 2010.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Ok sounds a bit weird I know. I have seen a TV programme about chickens that said it is possible if the overies are damaged for a hen to well change???

You see guys I have had my Wee Omlet since 7th June and up until now SHE has been a SHE!!!!!!! BYC folk said she was a GIRL and the VET said she was a girl.

However I have not seen her lay an egg yet or crow. The only Roo she hangs out with is Blue and she follows him everywhere. The other day though I did see Duck mount her. Blue chased him off and there was a bit of a fight over her/him???? Anyhow she / he has been squatting and will squat infront of me??? No eggs though. This morning I was feeding the chicks as usual and I looked at her and blow me she has OMG feathers on her tail that are growing GROWING down like a BOY I mean two feathers starting to grow longer than the others and downwards????????????? HOW CAN THIS BE??????

I have three ROOOOOOOOOOOOSTERS Two are a week older than her and one is a day older than her. They all crow and have very deffinate BOY Tail feathers. Omlet has plump girl body and short legs and well she has acted like a hen for months and looked like a hen for months???? Now I am worried what is she???? She is a Maron but nothing like the other maron Rooster - now I am not sure if she is like my Maron hen either???

I will try to get a photo to post. - Here she is when she was little though.
    This is her with Blue the Rooster she hangs out with.
    [​IMG]
    This is her about 3 weeks ago
    [​IMG]
    This is Gerty my adult Maran on her roost she is deffinately a girl (lays eggs !!!!)
    [​IMG]
    This is Duck the Rooster chick at the front and you can clearly see he is male by the comb.
    [​IMG]
    This is Omlet as a wee chick.
    [​IMG]

Best I can do right now but will try to get a better picture of her now.
    Oesdog - [​IMG]

2. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I still think it's a girl? I know the feathers are a bit roo-like but I also have this hen that you would SWEAR BLIND is a roo but it's not. It even jumps on the fence and pretends to crow and has long curly greeny shiny feathers.

Squatting to me would be so female it's not funny. Never seen a roo squat. But then again, what do I know? Chickens are surprising, even when they're not.

3. plantmgr

plantmgr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    I have a rooster that has tail feathers that grow upside down. He has a cross beak too. Maybe she just has a funky butt. Looks like a girl to me.[​IMG]

4. Staceyfeindt

Staceyfeindt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2009
    Virginia
    How about the legs? Are they thick compared to the known girls? My Buff Orpington hens have roo like tail feathers, not as many but when they are young it is hard to figure out who is what gender. So I look at the legs. Lighter colored roo legs will get a red/pink streak as they mature. But those legs look dark, so I don't know if you can use that trick.

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    My silkie roo squats. I've seen him mount a hen but he also imitates the egg song. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by