My chick is doing the splits!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Joan-NZ, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Joan-NZ

Joan-NZ Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2013
    New Zealand
    Now I may be prone to being a bit of a panic merchant over protective mother type but last I checked: It was not normal for hens to do the splits! :(

This is a young bird (feathered but only just) who just all of a sudden presented with one leg forward and one leg behind ..

Seems bright, has a good appetite. Drinks water, eats greens and is pooping normally (ie bloody heaps!!) :D

But cannot stand up or walk. If I hold him/her I can slowly move the legs into a normal position but when set down, Gerry (atrick) just rolls down onto the straw and sits around ..

I've made a hammock and have the chick resting in it, isolated from the other chicks. And am offering water often..

What could be wrong with Gerry?

Any ideas gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
    Joan.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    look up spraddle or splay legs. it can be fixed but the sooner the better

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. Joan-NZ

Nov 10, 2013
    New Zealand
    hmmm seems more like spraddle from my reading, but someone else PMd me and said was it possible the bird was poisoned. All a bit of a mystery. I am doing what feels right and will see how she / he goes :)

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    hi, just wondered if it was any better?

6. Joan-NZ

Nov 10, 2013
    New Zealand
    Not a jot. I've fashioned a crude hammock to "force" (but not at all forcing!) its legs to be in a normal position using an egg carton. I will have to post pics lol. Then I wrapped it in an old shirt so it didn't flap and it is now sitting beside me raised on a piece of cardboard with a big hole in it, so it can poop without messing .. only thing I am missing is a decent perch for it to grapple with underneath the egg carton hammock so am off to the hardware store to look around and see what I can find to make use of. His / her feet are flaccid and bordering on cool so I keep lifting him / her out and massaging the feet and encouraging "grabbing" of things so maybe with time .. ?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have tried that before too but it was a grown hen and she wasnt having anything to do with it. she would wiggle out faster then i could put her in ! lol i finally got some vet wrap to put the legs together and let her go at it. i did see a post where someone put their little chick in a stocking with the cut outs and tied the top to a perch like a bouncy swing. too cute

9. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I agree with eggessive. I strongly suggest you look up mareks disease. To me this sounds like classic presentation of Mareks disease. And its about the right age for onset.

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    This is what I call "Classic Marek's"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by