My Chick is Scared of Me!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickens Are Cute, Sep 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chickens Are Cute

Chickens Are Cute In the Brooder

Sep 20, 2017
    The United States
    This is my first time owning chicks, and One of them, Abigail, seems to be scared of me, and others too. Whenever anyone picks her up, she begins to panic. Her wings flutter like crazy and she chirps loudly. Will she warm up to us? Will she continue to be this way? I would really appreciate it if you guys can help me with this!

2. thatdude

thatdude In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2017
    chicks normally scream when you pick them up. one thing i find that helps tame them down in hand feeding but it depends on the breed/chick.

3. thatdude

thatdude In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2017
    :welcomealmost forgot

4. Bronco rob 94

Bronco rob 94 In the Brooder

Aug 11, 2017
    texas
    you need to pick them up more to let then get used to it

5. Bronco rob 94

Bronco rob 94 In the Brooder

Aug 11, 2017
    texas
    :welcome

6. Molpet

Molpet Free Ranging

sit w/them and give them mealworms from your hand.

Chickens Are Cute likes this.
  7. Chickassan

Chickassan Crossing the Road

If you don't stoop over them to pick them up and instead put your brooder at face level so you're reaching out to get them instead of coming in from above it helps. Also helps to support the feet when you hold a nervous one and not let them dangle.

Chickens Are Cute likes this.
  8. hlhutchinson

hlhutchinson Songster

Aug 26, 2015
    Casper Wyo
    IMG_8517.JPG I agree with hand feeding, and if you can let them free range while your outside sit in a chair read a book this way they get use to use and know that you are a good source of food. That is what we have done with ours (this is our first go at chickens). I would say in general most chickens don't like to be picked up
    When I go out side all my chickens come running over expecting a treat sometimes they get one sometimes they don't. I enjoy chicken watching so I'll sit out side with them and they will normally come over to check me out and hangout. The other day I had one jump in my lap and settle down. That was a first

WVduckchick and raecarrow like this.
  9. Chickens Are Cute

Chickens Are Cute In the Brooder

Sep 20, 2017
    The United States
    Thanks for the replies! I will definitely be trying these ideas! :thumbsup I was also wondering at what age you could move chicks to their coop. I know my chicks are still to young, but it never hurts to know!

10. TheGolden

TheGolden In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2017
    I started to move mine out around 8 weeks, but it can depend on breed. Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: