My chick isn't gaining weight

Silviaschicks

Crest Craver
Jun 6, 2020
Crest Country
My Coop
My Coop
I'm really worried about Henny Penny (my pfp; Barred Rock) because she eats a lot but doesn't seem to be gaining weight. Instead she is losing weight (just a little). She is the skinniest of all of my chicks, and doesn't get bullied by the others. Also, her feathers and her wings are developing fine. Do any of you know what's going on and how I can help her?

I️ have a chick with the same problem except she limps, breaths heavy, and all her feathers have grown except the tail feathers. Mine is a lot smaller than the rest but is the same age and breed. I’m going to watch this because I️ am curious as well.

Henny Penny is the smallest regardless of her weight problem as she is about a week younger than the others. Here is a side view of her:
Henny Penny.jpg

Here are top views of them all together to compare them:
top view.jpg

all together in box.jpg

Also, if anybody knows how many grams a 3-week old Barred Rock should weigh, that would be really helpful.

My barred rock weighed 175g at 3 weeks. You can see her progression here. 5/28 was 3 weeks for my first set of babies.

If she is eating and drinking ok, she may just be smaller. One thing I've done when I'm concerned about weight gain is mash up an egg yolk with the chick starter for a nutrition boost.

Back
Top Bottom