My Chick just ate an earing...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Georgeesmom, May 10, 2008.

1. Georgeesmom

Georgeesmom New Egg

May 10, 2008
    My chick just ate an 7mm gold ball ear ring. What is going to be the out come? Will my chicken be able to pass the ear ring?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Yes, this too shall pass.

I've seen this type of post at least 10 times before, so you are not alone, and the outcome has always been that the ear ring will pass through. [​IMG]

Edited to add [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG] The outcome will be at the other end. [​IMG]
    Sorry, I'm having a bad day. Hope everything works its way out.

4. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    chickens pass thing fast, mine ate a piece of syrofoam this morning there were little foam poos everywhere in just an hour

5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Now the fun begins, chasing chickens looking for the golden ball. Good hunting

6. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    omg an earing that is different

7. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    OK now that I've had my nap. Do you know which chick it was? I had a puppy take and eat my wedding ring right off my hand and I had to watch it. Maybe you could put it by itself until it comes out. Maybe by now it already did? [​IMG]

Will you let us know when it pass's. We do worry about these things and will feel better if we all know. Thanks

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  8. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    OK now that I've had my nap. Do you know which chick it was? I had a puppy take and eat my wedding ring right off my hand and I had to watch it. Maybe you could put it by itself until it comes out. Maybe by now it already did? [​IMG]

9. OkapisRule

OkapisRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2007
    Northern georgia
    It is small enough to pass all the way through. Our chicken once ate a screw. (We didn't know at that point.) One day we saw a small hard thing coming from her stomach. It grew and grew untill we realized it was a screw coming out. So we took her to the vet and he gave her a little topical and wrenched it out. She recovered fine! Then she got eggbound and died.[​IMG] What a stupid way to die for a hen that has been through that!

10. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    It should pass fine, but the problem will be when. Something hard like that may end up being used in the gizzard to help digestion. Just another, expensive, form of grit.

We gave up on getting Mom's ear ring backing from my Snickers(<--avatar pic). She likes shiney things.[​IMG]

Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by