My chick just hatched what do I do now?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DeeThomas, Apr 27, 2009.

1. DeeThomas

DeeThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Well he just hatched and I have another on the way. I thought they were dead. They are not premature either. But what do I do know. I have a fish tank that has a towel at the bottom but no lamp and a heating blanket underneath contributing to it making it 90 degrees. I am going to add an over head lamp too!

So what steps should I take. One of them is almost dry and another is still in the egg.

Can someone give me some steps.

The dos and donts?

2. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    well u have to have enough room so they can get away from the heat if they get to hot. and plenty of ventilation. i either would have no lamp with a mat or no mat with a lamp because i think the to together would make it too hot try the lamp first and let the chick dry in the bator first before putting it into a brooder and what day are the chicks on?

3. DeeThomas

Mar 13, 2009
    Quote:well they are not in there yet but.
    The lamp I dont think is hot enough mine hatched this moring can i leave him in there till 4:00 when I get home from school. My teacher is letting me borrow her heat lamp. So ill turn off the heating mat.

4. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    i have my day olds in a huge box with a lamp the bulb 100watts what wattage bulb do u have in there??
    im only 15 and i hatched my first chicks yesterday [​IMG] in a homemade bator yer the chick should be ok till you get home from school should be dry by then

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  5. cat123

cat123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    South Ga
    I live my chicks in a hatcher for the first 48 hours, they can go without food or water for the first 72 hours

6. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    Are they your first babies? If they are....

Ok then, you need a box for them to live in, not too small though!

And you need chick starter feed, and a waterer, if you put water in a dish they may drown!

Use paper towels for a couple of days than switch to pine shavings if you want to...

Once they get about 3-4 weeks old i would start making a coop outside for them. Just big enough for two full sized hens because...They get big SO fast!

When they get about 10 weeks (I think!) start them on chick grower!

If you have any questions PM me!

(Oh if this isnt your first time with chicks sorry i made you read this! [​IMG] )

7. DeeThomas

Mar 13, 2009
    Quote:Im in the same boat as you, same age. Not saying the number though.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  8. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    There is sooooo much information on this forum. Take some time to read up , there's plenty of brooder ideas, etc. Don't wait until last minute to figure this stuff out.... that's what the weeks of incubation is for! [​IMG] Your chick should stay in the incubator until it's dry completely and can stay in there up to 48 hours before you have to move it.

good luck and start reading! [​IMG]

Nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by