My chick might not survive???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by xx Georgina xx, Aug 19, 2013.

1. xx Georgina xx

xx Georgina xx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2013
    Hello Everyone,
    My poor chick can't walk at all the other chicks can though he's legs are not developed I want him to survive can u help us to save him before its to late???

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

What do you mean by his legs are not developed? Do you have pictures?

3. xx Georgina xx

May 29, 2013
    Well the legs are bent he could see them he can't move them because he cants feel them the lgs seems to not be working if they don't work he may not be able to survive

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    You'll need to give us more information, and hopefully pics.

How old is the chick? Just hatched, a few days old? Or 5 weeks or more?

Just hatched? A lot of baby chicks can barely move after first hatching. They are fine the next day after they have rested.

A few days old? There is probably something significantly wrong that may not be fixable if it cannot move or feel its legs. Your best hope is vitamin deficiency, so get it on Chick Saver vitamins/electrolytes that you put in the water if it will drink, otherwise eye dropper it.

A few weeks old? Oooooh, could be Marek's Disease. Were they vaccinated as day old chicks? If not, paralysis is usually the first symptom, and it would not be good. You must separate immediately from the others (although they've already been exposed now). Marek's is not a good disease and is usually lethal. It is a virus that causes neural issues and tumors. Those that survive may always be weak/deformed. It most often hits at ages 5 to 25 weeks. After that, birds generally have built an immunity to it, or have had a mild case that does not cause major problems.

I'm only making statistically educated guesses without pertinent information.
    Lady of McCamley

5. xx Georgina xx

May 29, 2013
    Well she has no idea how to walk becuse her legs are very woobley
    We do not not know roughly how old the chick is, the chick is about 2 or 1 day they hatched when we went on holiday (we did not need to do anything) we don't think the little guy has a diesese we have gave him little slippers they don't seem to work he managed to get 1 off, I don't know how much he's drinking or having food we pick him to see if he wants any when I've been around he hasn't had any at all

6. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Okay...since this is a chick is now several days old, it should have gained strength in its legs by now. It is only the first 24 hours after hatching that they can be wobbly from the hatch itself. If they are not up and running around like silly little chicks, I then suspicion systemic or structural issues...many of which are simply not fixable and your chick will fail to thrive, especially if it is not eating or drinking well.

However, you can do things, and chicks can amazingly pull through. Definitely keep it on a "Save A Chick" type electrolyte/vitamin mixture.

I have only splinted a turkey chick once, and did not had good success with splinting working, so I cannot give you great advice on that.

I would recommend posting in the disease forum for someone who may have had better success. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I also highly recommend you post photos of your chick's specific issue so that someone can better help you.

Good luck,
    Lady of McCamley

7. xx Georgina xx

May 29, 2013
    We are putting the chick down today
    1 of his legs are not working well as the other one and it is hurting him we have no other choice than put him to sleep.
    If we did keep him alive he would be picked on from the other chickens
    So yeah
    He's gone :'(

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  8. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    So Sorry!!![​IMG]

9. xx Georgina xx

May 29, 2013
    Hi this is the original posters mum, she is a teen so doesn't always give good descriptions but loves her chickens which as she is autistic are a real obsession for her. The little chick mentioned was born with his feet bent up as well as splayed so he was scrambling around on his bottom with his legs in the air. I think it was just a bad hatch from a egg I was given. I did for cardboard slippers to his feet and after a day his legs had manoeuvred round so one was in the right position the other I couldn't get round further then him walking on his hock/knee joint which obviously isn't good enough so I despatched him today as it seemed unfair to continue. The other eggs/chicks hatched fine although the eggs thus chick cane from I only had two of the other eggs were different breeds so I reckon the parents were suspect pods with vit defiency.

Thanks for all your help though

10. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Thank you for letting us know. I'm glad the chick is not suffering. It can simply be a deformity from the beginning, or a mishap in hatching (they can fuse their bones if they take too long to hatch). There are times nothing will help.
    Lady of McCamley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by