my chick seems quiet lethargic one eye keep getting sticky ,but is eating drinking and walks around

hayleyhatch1958

Hatching
Sep 16, 2016
london
This chick has improved somewhat but the symptoms mentioned come over in waves... seems to eat well then stops like its full and sleeps other chick seems normal quite lively etc ...new keeper pls bare with me....ive washed eye everyday with warm salt water ... cider vinegar in water ...any advice great . Also vet round here really unhelpful just suggested what will be will be . Self help tips be appreciated . Thanks

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Your chick is a polish and they can suffer eye problems due to their crest. Sticky eyes can sometimes indicate a respiratory problem which could be causing the lethargy. If it's resp infection the only way to treat is with antibiotics if they can't fight it off themselves. Have you given any extra vitamins as this can perk them up when they are under the weather. Hard boiled chopped egg is also good. Keep up with the eye cleaning as often as possible.

Good luck with your chick :fl

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Your chick is a polish and they can suffer eye problems due to their crest. Sticky eyes can sometimes indicate a respiratory problem which could be causing the lethargy. If it's resp infection the only way to treat is with antibiotics if they can't fight it off themselves. Have you given any extra vitamins as this can perk them up when they are under the weather. Hard boiled chopped egg is also good. Keep up with the eye cleaning as often as possible.

Good luck with your chick :fl

I am cleaning reg , antibiotics would require a pres im guessing our vet is not helpful i did ask can i buy this anywhere . Also have vitamin drops etc

Yes antibiotics need a prescription here in the UK. Do you have any other vets near to you? What area are you in as I have a list of poultry friendly vets in my practical poultry magazine.

Back
Top Bottom