1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chick Seems very Sick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by moca1123, Mar 5, 2014.

1. moca1123

moca1123 New Egg

Mar 5, 2014
    So, a little background, I am guessing that my incubator wasn't humid enough, i lost alot of chicks mid hatch. two of them were almost out of their shells and just died. One of them took a little more than a day to hatch, and after that I decided to help( about 10 o clock last night. The membrane dried onto the skin as well as one of the eyes. I held the chick in a warm wet paper towel and changed the towel a few times, trying to keep it warm. I wiped the membrane with a warm wet paper towel to lossen it and got it all off, I think i lost the eye, it isnt bleeding or anything, he just wont open it. I put him back in the bator and hoped for the best. We took him out this morning and put him with the other 4 that survived and are eating and drinking just fine ( i hadnt helped them to hatch) but the one i helped just lays there with one of his legs out behind him. He either cant or wont stand on his own. I have tried to help him drink. I have put just a few drops of sugar water in his beak, but he still just lays there. I am getting really worried about him. When i pick him up he opens one eye and his mouth and seems to try to pick up his head but just cant. I dont know what else to do. (I also wiped his bum, it was kind of pasty, but didnt appear to be blocked) thanks for any help

2. barbschickens

barbschickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2014
    Can you post a picture?

3. moca1123

moca1123 New Egg

Mar 5, 2014
    Sadly he died about an hour after this post

4. BooBoo45

BooBoo45 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    Worcestershire, England
    I'm so sorry to hear that, my ducklings are due to hatch on Tuesday and it looks like my humidity has been too high. This is my first hatch but I've been told you learn with each hatch, that of course doesn't help with the stress and worry you go through at the time but remember you did your very best for this chick, some things just aren't meant to be.[​IMG] Chances are if he was this weak then like his other siblings he would have died trying to get out of the egg anyway. You gave him a good chance.

I've been told to start a thread next time asking for help getting ready to incubate and members with experience will help me go through the process step by step. There are a lot of people here that are so helpful and have such a lot of knowledge and experience that they are willing to share. That of course doesn't help my ducklings now and I just have to hope they will hatch alive next week - from 12 eggs I am down to three, I shall be totally gutted if I end up with none but that could happen.

Thankfully you do have other healthy chicks to dote on and you need to enjoy them now. [​IMG] Good luck.

5. barbschickens

barbschickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2014
    so sorry :( :( :(

6. heartsizedfarm

heartsizedfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen an old English textbook on chicks that shows how you can wrap a little elastic band in a figure eight around the splayed legs to help a chick stand. As with all animals sometimes a soft leg at birth just needs a bit of time to come right. But it sounds like maybe there was more wrong with your chick. Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by