my chick smells like sour milk

maddy14

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 22, 2011
my chick is 7 days old. she smells like sour milk, i read that this could be a sour crop?? what is this and how would i get rid of it, if it is sour crop? she is acting normal and energetic. she eats chick starter food and drinks spring water. i also took her outside yesterday..if that affects anything. she has been smelling like this for like 4 days, but i didnt think anything of it before until i researched it..

Yogurt is a good idea! Just plain yogurt--no flavoring. They're not picky, and it's better for them.

It could be sour crop, but usually by the time you start to smell something there are other symptoms--perhaps you've caught it early. A good way to treat/prevent sour crop is to put Apple Cider Vinegar into their waterer. I give it to mine everyday--haven't had problems with sour crop since! You just need a tablespoon or two per gallon, and they're good to go.
big_smile.png

I think it works because it changes the pH balance of the crop, making it unsuitable for that particular type of fungal infection.

Good luck with your girl! Let us know how she's doing!

thanks! should i mix the yogurt with the food? and is it ok to feed this stuff to her at such a young age? if she doesnt have sour crop, is it still ok to give her apple cider vinegar-water and yogurt?

Back
Top Bottom