My chick story so far....a partial adoption! (+Pics!!!)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cwhit590, Apr 27, 2009.

1. cwhit590

cwhit590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Hey yall,

I just HAVE to share my experience with getting chicks for the 1st time this spring! [​IMG] This will be kinda long and pic heavy...so don't say I didn't warn ya! [​IMG]

I ordered 12 female chicks from Meyer Hatchery to add to my flock of BR's and BO's. I ordered 5 Easter Eggers, 2 Australorps, 2 Blue Andalusian, 2 Silver Spangled Hamburgs, and 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte...and that is exactly what I got! They made it thru the mail fine even though we had a cold snap during their shipping time. The chicks are 3 weeks old now and they are all thriving. I was very satisfied with Meyer and their small order program. [​IMG]

A month before the chicks arrived one of my BO's went broody, and she was very determined....so I decided to see if she would adopt the chicks. The first night I got the chicks I slipped a light-colored Splash Andalusian chick under her...and the next day she adopted it! [​IMG] So...a couple nights later I thought I would slip the rest of the chickies under her to see what she would do....the next morning she ended up accepting all the lighter-colored chicks (like the 1st one I gave her), but she rejected the 7 darker colored chicks. She's RACIST! Bad hen!!! LOL. I've been brooding the 7 'rejects' here in the house, but she has been doing great with the 5 that she accepted. She is pretty attentive to them and she is still friendly and tolerant of me when I'm around. Even though she didn't take in all the chicks, I'm glad she took some and at the same time she's learning how to be a good momma for future broods. [​IMG]

Now my 7 house chicks are starting to fly like crazy when I open their brooder! It's amazing how fast they grow....I've been trying to spend lots of time with them and so far my little Blue Andalusian seems to be the friendliest chick of the bunch...she'll run up to my hand and hop all over me when I'm sitting by them!

So yeah......now I have 3 groups of chickens...the big girls, momma and her babies, and the little rejects. This should be fun when it comes time to introduce everyone! [​IMG] Any tips? I'll try to keep you guys updated.

OK...picture time! Here are all the chicks when I first got them:
    [​IMG]

More fuzzybutts:
    [​IMG]

Here is my racist Momma hen [​IMG] with some of the chicks she adopted. She took the Splash Andalusian (in my hand), the 2 Silver Spangled Hamburgs, and 2 EE's:
    [​IMG]

Too cute!
    [​IMG]

Time to go outside...
    [​IMG]

And here are my little rejects. [​IMG] As you can see, the little Blue Andalusian is my buddy...she likes to fly up and say hi to me! The 2 Australorps are pretty friendly too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Oh my goodness! They are so precious. I love seeing a hen and babies. Too cute....

3. hrmalexandra

hrmalexandra Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Very cute. My little austrolorp is a sweetheart too.

4. cwhit590

cwhit590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Thanks! It is fun to see momma and the babies together...they do seem cuter! But of course....I love them all. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by