1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chick thinks she's a fish!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wrybread, Jun 12, 2011.

1. wrybread

wrybread Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    Stafford, Va
    I have a 4 week old easter egger and I've never seen a chick drink as much water as this one does! If she's just passing by the waterer she'll always go in for a quick sip but she'll also stand there and drink and drink and drink.....and drink some more! She does this alot! I wouldn't think this was a problem except that it means she also has poops that are kind of half solid, half water. You can also hear it when she poops! Like a squirting sound....... I know, too much info [​IMG] but I'm kind of concerned. Should I be?

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Nope [​IMG]

3. wrybread

Jun 12, 2010
    Stafford, Va
    Looks like chickengal IS a thread killer! [​IMG]

Anyone else think watery poops are something I don't need to worry about?

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    ha...is she eating alright? Does she act weird...so to say! I am no expert sorry....but I will bump this up anyhow for you...I would say if she is acting ok, don't worry....

5. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
  6. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I would go along more of the lines of Jody Jo and pay attention to how she is acting. I have never encountered a problem with chickens drinking too much and would not be concerned except that I had a cat with that problem and it was because his liver was failing. I should nto even mention that because it is unrelated and your chick is probably fine but I would just watch her and make sure nothing else is weird. If it is just the drinking like a fish, then I would just say you have a chicken with a drinking problem [​IMG]

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:Love it!

I read it...book marked it even! Drinking a lot of water...too hot, not eating enough?

8. wrybread

Jun 12, 2010
    Stafford, Va
    Nope to all the questions....she's acting just like all the other chickies. Eating okay, not too hot, doing the chicken dance while scratching for crumbles -- everything seems to be fine. I guess I'll stop worrying and start concentrating on getting them to love me as much as I love them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by