My chick was choking on a baby worm

Stormlillyevans

Chirping
Jul 1, 2020
So I gave my baby chicks worms and they absolutely loved them! Anyway, on of my black silkies ate a full worm it took her ages to eat it and the worm kept on coming back up and down her throat. We were very worried and thought she was choking. Her head was up and was trying to swallow it. Now the chick has got a very large breast. Will she be alright?
Thank you all!! 🐤🐤❤️❤️

Here is what she looks like. Does she look ok?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 12
So do I mix the grit with the crumbs?
No don't mix. Chickens need small stones (or slightly larger than sand, "grit" for chicks) to sit in their crop. The stones roll around and grind the food that they eat since they don't have teeth. If a chick or chicken only eats crumble or pellets, the food has already been ground and they don't need grit. But for all other food, worms, mealworms, whole grains, grass, lettuce, scraps, etc, they need grit. You can buy bags labeled "chick grit" for the babies or "poultry grit" for adults at any feed store that sells chicken feed usually. Honestly, babies shouldn't be given much in the way of treats until they are older, 4-6 weeks, but when they are with a mama hen they would naturally start foraging much sooner. If you give chicks grit at that age, without mama to show them what to do, they might gorge themselves so the first time you give it to them, watch that they don't eat too much. It shouldn't hurt them and will eventually pass, but too much grit makes them feel full and gives them no nutritional value. If it appears the peck at it and leave it alone, it should be safe to leave it in with the chicks (assuming you give them food that isn't crumble). If they express too much interest in eating it, allow them to eat a little then remove it.

No don't mix. Chickens need small stones (or slightly larger than sand, "grit" for chicks) to sit in their crop. The stones roll around and grind the food that they eat since they don't have teeth. If a chick or chicken only eats crumble or pellets, the food has already been ground and they don't need grit. But for all other food, worms, mealworms, whole grains, grass, lettuce, scraps, etc, they need grit. You can buy bags labeled "chick grit" for the babies or "poultry grit" for adults at any feed store that sells chicken feed usually. Honestly, babies shouldn't be given much in the way of treats until they are older, 4-6 weeks, but when they are with a mama hen they would naturally start foraging much sooner. If you give chicks grit at that age, without mama to show them what to do, they might gorge themselves so the first time you give it to them, watch that they don't eat too much. It shouldn't hurt them and will eventually pass, but too much grit makes them feel full and gives them no nutritional value. If it appears the peck at it and leave it alone, it should be safe to leave it in with the chicks (assuming you give them food that isn't crumble). If they express too much interest in eating it, allow them to eat a little then remove it.
Ok thank you, Do you think I will be ok not giving the chick the grit this one time because I need to order it online and that could take a long time.

Back
Top Bottom