My chick won't stand but why and how can i help ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lucyharper123, Dec 18, 2012.

1. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    a little while ago i posted that i thought my chick was constipated but i got help and now there fine and passing easily[​IMG], but then today one of my chicks were sort of fitting and closing his eyes and throwing his head back[​IMG]. i thought straight away cocci so treated them right away a few hours past and i was beginning to lose hope[​IMG] but then he stopped his fitting throwing head back and opened his eyes i thought brilliant[​IMG] but now its as if his legs don't work his wings and neck are fine. he can move his legs but refuses to stand how can i help him[​IMG] also i got one of my silkies to take over brooding so no need for heat lamps ! but shes still indoors [​IMG][​IMG] can someone give me advice to help him [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You might want to research Marek's disease. Sounds like it's a possibility, though I'm a long way from an expert.

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I agree. It sounds like it might be Mareks.

4. lucyharper123

Dec 16, 2012
    i've checked the symptoms of marek's disease and its defenetly not the same his legs can still move and one is not pointing forward nor back? he may just be week? he has had it pretty rough the past two days ill try to upload a photo of him.

5. lucyharper123

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]Rockey the one who wont stand up but his legs can still move

[​IMG] him on the floor

[​IMG]the new Brooder

[​IMG]his sister who has had no problems and has been with him since hatching

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    There are many more symptoms for Marek's than what you read. But I think your chick is too young for Marek's. Most of the time they have to be at least 6 weeks old. Chicks do get born with things wrong with them, it's hard to say what. [​IMG]

7. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with seminolewind. Looks like the little guy is definitely weak, he might have something internal wrong with him causing him to feel this way. I think your best bet is to get some electrolytes into him, as well as fluid. You can use Save-A-Chick or equivalents (like Gro-Gel) in the water, then dipping his beak. If you don't have any of these on hand, you can add some apple cider vinegar to the water and dip his beak in that. Just do what you can and we'll see if the little guy was meant to make it [​IMG]

8. yo burrill

yo burrill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2012
    Garland, ME
    Vit-a-sol infant drops are great for young chicks. Put a couple drops in their water. Or give a small drop on their beak!! Makes a huge difference in the babies born with issues gives them a good boost to get going. Although I have to say I have had a few hatch that could not stand and most passed away. I hope your little fluffy butt gets better!!

9. lucyharper123

Dec 16, 2012
    hopefully![​IMG] but completely gutted my healthy chick Bella just dropped dead [​IMG]about an hour ago. i don't now what happened, marek's is starting to sound right [​IMG] so gutted! i hope rocky pulls through![​IMG]

10. lucyharper123

Dec 16, 2012
    i don't think it is marek's rocky is now trying to stand ![​IMG] he can move his legs more !!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by