My Chick!

HeyHeyWW

Songster
Oct 9, 2017
Florida
Hello! I'm posting this because I have (had) three adorable little chicks (named Owl, Goldie and Ostrich) who are like 2 or 3 months old and 2 nights ago, when I just woke up my mom called me and said "uh, oh, something bad happened". I ran outside- before I tell you what happened, we were leaving the chicks to sleep outside in a cage, but we put a brick under it just in case it started raining and it flooded a little and there was something on top of it so it didn't fall. We put a blanket over it so that nothing they could sleep better. Anyway, when I went outside, the cage was flipped on the ground and I only had 2 chicks left, Owl and Goldie. Ostrich wasn't there I was freaking out and I was looking around my backyard to see if she was there, but she wasn't. There was no blood or feathers. What could've taken her without leaving anything behind? I feel bad, like I didn't take care of them. I was the one responsible for them and she got taken away. :( My mom wanted them to sleep outside because their droppings were getting stinky, but I still feel like it was my fault. Could anyone tell me what could've taken her?

I'm so, so very sorry. :hugs

I agree, most likely a raccoon. They can reach right through the bars of a cage with their hands and grab birds.

Do you have a shed or a garage where the birds could spend the night? Because I will tell you from experience: it will be back. Failing that, what about putting your cage into a bigger cage, so that there is a space between the chick's cage and the outer one, that way when a raccoon reaches in it won't be able to reach them. Or, do you have a coop? What about a friend or neighbor with a good secure coop, could they spend the night in there? I really hope you can resolve this for the other two. Here is hoping... :fl

Sorry for your loss. The other posters have given you some good ideas, hope they help.

P.S. :welcome I wish it was under better circumstances.

Thanks everyone :)

@Zoomie, we have a shed but it is REAAALLLYY hot inside. We're putting them in a cage now and putting them inside, we are gonna build a coop and close it everytime at night when they are inside.

Back
Top Bottom