My chicken adventure is starting!

Proverb31mama

Songster
8 Years
May 15, 2015
Allen County, IN
Hi,

My husband and I are soon to get our first chickens, but our chicken adventure started 1.5 years ago.

It started with me browsing craigslist and seeing that someone had a coop and chickens and everything you needed to get started. I was interested but for some reason didn't think my husband would be so I disregarded it. A couple months later I happened to mention it to my husband. He was very interested! So I started looking more specifically at the chicken listings on Craigslist and looking at info about chickens.

Then my MIL mentioned that her library was doing a panel discussion thing about raising chickens so I went with her. I learned a lot there, but 1 thing I learned that really changed the plan is that there are laws regarding having chickens in your yard (who knew?). After calling we found out that we were not allowed to have chickens at our house and changing the zoning would cost a lot of money. We were both very disappointed.

The next day we discovered that we had both looked at realtor.com to see if there were any interesting houses that would allow us to have chickens. This was huge because we loved that house! Well long long story (one that includes selling our house in 1 week) short we ended up buying a house 5 minutes away from our old house but out in the country enough that it is zoned agriculture.

Yes we moved for chickens! (Not just chickens though, now I am dreaming of cows, pigs, goats, I'm not sure what yet, but we'll see). We only have 3/4 acre but we can do quite a bit with it and there is a possibility we can buy the field behind our house some day. We also have a big garden and several fruit trees and plants. We are working our way to more self sustainable, healthier living.

We have 3 kids a 3.5 yr old, a 1.5 yr old and a 6 week old. They keep us busy so I am trying not to take on too much at once but I want to do it all :). We plan to homeschool and I am eager for the kids to learn about all of this.

We are ready for this new adventure to begin!

I love a "feel good" story and your introduction is certainly that. Thank you, it made my day. Welcome to Backyard chickens. So glad you joined the flock
wee.gif

If you have any lucky numbers for the lottery, I sure would appreciate - hearing them.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I home-schooled our children, and now our daughter is following in our footsteps with my granddaughter (pictured in my avatar). Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

Good morning and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

What a nice intro, thanks for sharing your story with us. It sounds like you have a lot to look forward to and many adventures ahead.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. There are a lot of friendly and helpful members here and tons of information.

It's nice to have you join us!

Back
Top Bottom