My chicken and her call duck eggs HELP Puhleeze

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickyducky, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Chickyducky

Chickyducky New Egg

Nov 16, 2013
    Hi
    I have been researching like a crazy person but can't seem to get a straight answer!
    I have a broody hen sitting on six call duck eggs. They are due to hatch on Saturday and I can't wait, so super excited!
    I have a few questions that I am hoping someone can help me with as I have never hatched a thing in my life...
    1. Do storms affect unhatched eggs? We have had a thunderstorm every day for the past week and I was told not to expect my ducks to hatch....
    2. How will I know when they are hatching, will my hen act differently?
    3. Will the ducklings just crawl out from under the hen when they have arrived? I read that the hen can suffocate them and I don't want that to happen :(
    4. How long should I let her sit on the eggs for after the due date?
    A little bit of info for you
    When I obtained the eggs I moved my broody hen to a secure location so she is on her own and in a safe dark coop that is off the ground about about 10-15 cm.
    Thank you in advance for any help.

2. Majd

Majd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    None of the problems that you mentioned happen.... she and them know exactly what to do... of course she's not gonna suffocate her babies... and as long as no rain reched the hen and eggs... andas llong as the hen didn't spook and got off... the chances are that the person that told you that is either unexperienced...or doesn't want you to have ducklings.... lol.... hope they all hatch... if they are fertile of course..... and we want picssss...

3. Chickyducky

Chickyducky New Egg

Nov 16, 2013
    Hi Majd!
    Thank you so much for your reply! My dramas all started with the comment about thunderstorms, I came online to see if I could find an answer to that when I read about all the other so called problems. Prior to that I had assumed nature knew best lol. Thank you for putting my mind at ease . I will definitely post pictures when they arrive. Only a couple more days! Woohoo!
    Speak soon!

4. bostons barn

bostons barn Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2013
    My mallard had her ducklings in the mud puddles and rain the same day they hatched. She hatched 11 out of 13. Hope you have good luck too. Also my ducks and hens will lay eggs in the same nest together. Lol

5. Majd

Jun 22, 2012
    That's really a cool and enjoying experience..... Bostons barn
    Hope the egg hatch out good.... we sure need picsss....

6. bostons barn

Nov 18, 2013
    Unfortunately i sold the last 29 of my babies on the 9th but i do still have 3 in the incubator so if all goes well i will send them up. I do have some pics on my facebook of all my ducks chickens and horses. Deanna bowen if you want to check my babies out

7. Majd

Jun 22, 2012
    I will sure check!!
    What happened with the mama hen and eggs????

8. bostons barn

Nov 18, 2013
    I snuck the duck eggs out of the nest and put them in the incubator to hatch since they take longer to hatch than chicken eggs. I sell the babies to help pay for poultry feed since i can no longer work due to back surgeries and they keep me busy and entertained outside

9. Chickyducky

Chickyducky New Egg

Nov 16, 2013
    Hi
    So some bad and good news
    One has hatched! YAY. But our excitement soon turned to depression as we lost one who was desperately trying to get out but died :hit Is that normal? Now we have four eggs left that were supposed to hatch yesterday but there is no sound coming from them. Have I lost these ones too?
    It's all turned sour now :(

10. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I don't know give it time- here is a pic of my hen with her ducks to encourage you.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by