1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken ate a mouse and... *update*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Moochie, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    2 days ago as I was giving scratch to my flock and I looked at one of the hens and she was eating a mouse. She was ripping it apart, eating everything, all that was left was the pelt.
    This isn't the first time my chickens have caught a mouse and had a feeding frenzy over it so I wasn't that worried. They have also eaten lizards too. This is just the first time I've seen bloody poop. It's really runny and the color of red wine, or burgundy. I was shocked to see it, and I checked all the girls' rear ends to see if any signs of blood on their feathers or cloaca. I didn't find anything, but I'm worried.
    What's going on? I know it's most likely internal bleeding but from what? Is her gizzard not crushing things good enough? What can I do to help her?
    I don't know of any vets around here that take in chickens either.
    She's also laying fine, no blood on the eggs she produces.
    It was pomegranite! I did a little expiriment, I fed them pomegranite seeds again yesterday and this morning I found the same poop that I thought was blood.
    Thank goodness. What I was reading about this protozoa made me think she would have died by now.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Uh, Mine eat mice and they never had bloody poop, I would treat with Corid, it may not be from the mouse

3. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:what is corid? do they sell it at feed shops?

4. TheBantamPrevails

TheBantamPrevails Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Amprolium is a corid, which means it stops coccidiosis.

Botulism can come from dead critters, but I don't think bloody stool is a symptom. It is a symptom of coccidiosis though.

5. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:i am a noob when it comes to diseases and what not, what is coccidiosis? and his corid, i feed it to her?

6. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Coccidiosis is found in soil, usually after it rains. All hens have it and have built up a tolerance to it to SOME DEGREE. Corid contains Amprolium, which is used to treat coccidiosis.
    Corid is either powder or liquid, the dosage is on another thread here, I think powder right now is one teaspoon per gallon of water for five days.

7. TheBantamPrevails

TheBantamPrevails Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Search for coccidiosis or cocci and also check other new posts for today in this forum--someone else just posted about this with the information about the medicine.

8. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I did see some threads about it when i googled the stuff... i dont want her to die! theres alotta blood in her poop and i dont want her only to have a couple days left!!! ive already lost 3 of my flock to a stray dog i dont want to lose anymore. where can i get this corrid stuff??? the only feed store that is nearest is Van Dam Farms and i have no clue if they sell corrid. i cant buy online cuz my parents wont let me (yes im a teen), oh dear god now im really worried.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you don't have any rat poison set out do you?

10. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:no, and it did rain last week... so it came from the soil huh? yikes im scared shes a sweetheart and our best layer, she makes the biggest eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by