My Chicken Ate A Rat!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicklover16, Aug 13, 2011.

  1. chicklover16

    chicklover16 queen of flirts

    5,422
    11
    233
    Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    My chickens ate a dead rat!!! (who most likely died from rat poison that my neighbors put out) what on earth should I do?!?!?!? I am so freaked out!
     
  2. CinnamonQueen12

    CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

    206
    0
    89
    Jul 20, 2011
    Try to make her throw it up. Flush out her stomach. A vet may need to do that. Find out what kind of poison it was and maybe there is something you can do wothout going to a vet. But hurry, if the poison sits too long in her system her stomach lining could absorb it into her bloodstream and then it's most likely too late. I'm sorry I can't give good news.........Best of luck! [​IMG]
     
  3. If she ate the entire rat that's bad. If the digestive system is intact though, you should be safe. Just as long as rat poison doesnt get into her system. It would work the same way. Rat poison works because rats can't vomit; they eat too much poison, and so on. Chickens can't vomit unless they are forced to, so good luck!
     
  4. hennyannie

    hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    On a positive note some rat poisons won't kill the animal who ate the rat.The poison kills by swelling the rats digestive system and absorbing all the fliuds, this in turn kills the rat.
    This is why they have to have a water source near by or they can survive the poison, the water causes the swelling. Our dogs ate a rat that had been poisoned this way and survived.
     
  5. chicklover16

    chicklover16 queen of flirts

    5,422
    11
    233
    Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    thank you so much for your quick replies, My chicken did not eat the whole rat, it was evenly divided between all 11 of my hens while I was on vacation, they always have access to clean water and food so I'm just gonna hope they pull through this time [​IMG]

    thanks again,
    idy
     
  6. FarmCoe

    FarmCoe Flock Mistress

    May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    I don't know what to tell you, but [​IMG]
     
  7. chicklover16

    chicklover16 queen of flirts

    5,422
    11
    233
    Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    Quote:thanks [​IMG]

    p.s. I love your signature
     
  8. pgpoultry

    pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

    2,291
    18
    191
    Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    If the rat was poisoned and the poison was anticoagulant based, vitamin K will reverse the effect and should be available from your vet. You don't even have to act today, tomorrow morning will be fine. Hopefully they didn't eat enough to have a very profound effect in any case!

    Good Luck
     
  9. lavenderorpgirl

    lavenderorpgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

    250
    2
    113
    Aug 14, 2011
    WOW! We've never had that here...good luck to you...but I am guessing it depends on the type of poison used to kill the rat? It ifs a blood thinner type that is worse...am keeping my fingers crossed for you.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by