My chicken ate a rattle snake

two j farm

Crowing
5 Years
May 25, 2016
Louisiana
My Coop
My Coop
My chickens was in the yard when I seen one take off running with a snake. I walked up to her and she was eating it and I know it was a rattle snake it was about 10 inches long. This is not the first time she has ate a snake but it is the first rattle snake. She is my snake chicken. Will it kill her with it being a rattle snake?

Omg now I have another problem one of the chickens that was trying to get the snake away from the hen that ate it is not looking good. She is just staying on the roost and her wattles are turning black. Could she have gotten bit by the snake. Will it kill her? I hope not I have already lost a few to a Fox don't want to lose anymore.

Back when I was a kid, one of our barred rock hens got bit by a young rattle snake. Her comb turned black and flopped over. She stayed in the coop for a little while, but she fully recovered with no help from us. She killed the snake but did not eat it. Her comb eventually did turn red again but it stayed flopped over for the rest of her years.

How is she today? Not sure there is much you can do other than making sure she has food and water close by and letting her rest.

Good news she is doing better today. She came out to eat with the other girls and her head looks alot better. She was in the nest box when I checked on her about 5 minutes ago. I'm so happy she feels better
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom