My chicken ate a whole snake!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kendallnoel, Nov 1, 2013.

1. kendallnoel

kendallnoel New Egg

Jul 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

One of my buff orpington hens ate a snake yesterday, whole. It was about a foot long and about as big around as my thumb! I was fascinated and grossed out at the same time....this is one of my "babies'. My question is - Will her gizzard be able to grind that whole thing up? I fretted about off and on all evening. By the time I got my phone and took a pic, she had almost swallowed the entire thing. All that is left sticking out of her beak is the little skinny part of its tail.

2. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    Make sure she has grit. That will help grind up the snake. Chickens will eat anything they can catch!

3. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Our chickens have also eaten snakes and mice. She should be fine, just make sure there's plenty of grit and water.

4. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Good girl!

5. Jedi Clampett

Jedi Clampett Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    GO CHICKEN GO!!!!!!! Just got some BO's a few weeks ago, hope they eat the copperheads in my yard next summer!

6. PineShavings

PineShavings Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Tex
    Interesting, Sometimes when I go the backyard my chickens will follow me because I'll turnover the rocks because there's always something tasty under it. Last week, they found a garter snake and it's hilarious watching 15 hens fight over that one snake. The poor snake was being stretched but wouldn't rip so I just had to cut it up into small pieces and throw it to my hens. :lol:

7. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    My chickens LOVE to eat snakes...we have non-venomous ones around here everywhere...worm snakes are their favorite it seems...I see them catch at least two a week! They've never had any problems digesting them...if your chickens are kept in a coop and run without natural grit, just give them some. If they free-range like mine do, even part of the day, they will get all the grit they need from your property.

Here's some pics of my chicks when they were still young fighting over a worm snake in the spring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Quailgirlie

Quailgirlie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    Binbrook, ontario
    Great pictures. That's amazing!

9. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    Love the photos!

10. kendallnoel

kendallnoel New Egg

Jul 10, 2013
    I love to hear others' stories about snake eating chickens! My girls do get to "free range" whenever someone is home. They have probably killed and eaten snakes before that I haven't seen...when they are down at the barn I cant always see what's going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by