1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken ate an egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MyChickenApples, Dec 7, 2011.

1. MyChickenApples

MyChickenApples Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    This morning I went to collect eggs from our chicken tractor and I saw my chicken eating an egg!![​IMG] I hope she was just cleaning up a broken one... Btw, new here in these forums! My daughter and I are excited to talk "chickens" with you all! [​IMG]

2. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Welcome! [​IMG]

Maybe put golf balls in the coop/boxes and remove any real eggs ASAP. Then she'll learn that pecking the "eggs" doesn't accomplish anything.

Good luck!

3. MyChickenApples

MyChickenApples Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    Thanks for the advice and welcome! We are putting golf balls in there as soon as we find some, or plastic easter eggs! My oldest dd was so upset this morning, it was our favorite hen who ate the egg. We are going to check the nest sooner in the day, and maybe try giving them some milk. Hopefully it will be just a one time incident!

4. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Probably just a one-time thing, eating a broken egg. Mine booted an olive egg out of the coop and into the mud yesterday. What was their problem?!?!?

Enjoy BYC! I do!

5. Yes [​IMG]

Bad Chicken! BAD CHICKEN!

It may be a one time thing but not likely. However you can plan for protecting you eggs by building some roll out nest boxes for your chickens. There are some good ideas here on this forum for roll outs.

Wish you the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by