my chicken ate wet great stuff spray foam insulator

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fawkestheman, Nov 29, 2014.

1. fawkestheman

fawkestheman Chillin' With My Peeps

i just found my chicken frothing at the mouth in our coop. earlier we had sprayed great stuff foam spray onto the cracks in our coop and she ingested it. there was a big lump in her throat i figured was the hardened foam so i brought her in and pulled out the blockage that was in her throat, a mixture of the foam stuff and her food. the lump is gone now but i don't know if she ingested any or what!! Please help me ASAP! nor do i know how toxic it is. any help appreciated

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have used that in an old coop with cracks in it too, but it was dry before the chickens pecked at it. Apparently the foam is polyurethane, but the wet chemical is isocyanate which can cause respiratory problems and allergies. Hopefully she didn't swallow more than you got out. If it was dry, it will probably pass on through her digestive tract. Here is a link to read about it: http://energy.ces.ncsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/consumer_safety.pdf

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  3. fawkestheman

fawkestheman Chillin' With My Peeps

thank you for replying eggcesscive! she seems to be ok now, we brought her inside for the night and have been giving her molasses and epsom salt as a cleanser. if she were to have swallowed more than i got out would it be deadly?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would use either the epsom salt, or the molasses flush, but not both, as she will get diarrhea. They should move the product on through hopefully. Is she acting alright so far? Do you have any electrolytes or SaveAChick that you can give her tomorrow to help if she has diarrhea? I'm really glad that you found her when she had the stuff in her throat, since it may have caused a crop impaction. Please give us an update on her condition tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by