My chicken barks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Heather J, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    No really, I have this pullet who recently started laying and today when I was out collecting eggs and topping off the feed she made this funny barking noise three times. (like a teacup-sized dog, really high pitched.) I kind of wondered if it was a cough or something. Has anyone else heard something like this?

2. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    She might have been sneezing or it may be the beginning of the "I laid an egg" song!

3. Quella

Quella Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    One of my chicks do that, but it's more like a raspy chirp. Probably not sneezing since it's high pitched. Or maybe the egg song... it's like a rooster beginning to crow...maybe..

4. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    My hens make a wide variety of noises. When my black sex links were attacked by a mink, it sounded like a small child screaming. When my Aracauna lays, she sounds like a rooster crowing.

5. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Mine occasionally sneeze and it kind of sounds like a very high pitched bark.

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

..and I have two that honk...[​IMG]

7. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Well, as long as barking isn't a sign hat there's something wrong with her. lol

I'm so excited to report that five of my nine pullets laid eggs yesterday! I've never gotten more than three before, and EVERY ONE of my hens from my other coop laid today! It's never happened before.

Of course, now what am I going to do with all those eggs?

8. Migizi

Migizi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    One of my girls Hisses like a cat!!!!!!!!!!!!! figure that out a barking dog and a hissing Cat!!! lol
    \\

[​IMG]

9. Jean01

Jean01 New Egg

Feb 11, 2009
    Holsworthy
    Hi

One of my hens makes a barking noise or maybe its a sneeze cannot tell exactly what it is !!

But we do have a lot of dogs in our neighbourhood and the chickens would hear them barking. [​IMG][​IMG]

10. bird of a feather

bird of a feather Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2009
    If there are no roos around, she might be crowing. We've had not one but two hens do that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by