My Chicken become strange please help???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scooterbun, Oct 25, 2013.

1. scooterbun

scooterbun New Egg

Oct 25, 2013
    Hello Everyone,

I'm new on here and I need some help with my two big chickens.

Orville my Sussex is now 3 years old, still laying fine.
    I don't know if the weather change has anything to do with it but she doesn't seem bothered about food anymore she walks about the yard all that pecking but she's moaning a lot.
    I go out to see if she's ok and take her a treat she loves blueberries but the other day just looked at me as if to say I don't want that.
    She started jumping on my back when I bend down to get there food bowls and stuff.
    she's always been close to me as I've had her since she was a little chick, she comes when you shout her and she quite happy to let you stroke her, she just seems to have gone a little bit moody, Can any one help me?

Right Burger my other chicken she's malting at the minute and she seems really distant not interested in food, she stopped laying but I know that's due to malting.
    She isn't as friendly as Orville and she wont let you stroke her but she did eat out my hand, she wont do that anymore, she stop following me to there pen at night to lock them in which she always did I've had to start picking her up and taking her, have I upset her by picking her up I don't know. Can someone help?

My two girls are great and I just don't understand why the sudden change in attitude?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. veramoomoo

veramoomoo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    it could be stress if there is animals roaming and bothering them!!! or it could be to cold for them, you can try a heat lamp in the cop or try to watch actions and if there is animals.

3. scooterbun

scooterbun New Egg

Oct 25, 2013
    Thank you for your reply, they let me know if another animal comes on the yard like a cat. I think it's just the cold but they stood 3 winters with snow and no heat lamp so I'm shocked that it's bothering them. I don't think there bothered about the wet as the come into the house if it's raining.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by