My chicken behaviors..

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Foleys, May 13, 2010.

1. Foleys

Foleys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    So today makes the 5th day of being chicken raisers... and only the second day of having them in the coop. When I went out to feed them yesterday morning they all just kinda ran to the oppsite side of the coop until I finished puttin their food down, and walked out of the coop. The full grown roo was the first to eat and then the outher younger chicken(still not 100% sure of what they are! Male or Female) got theirs. This morning I went out to feed them and all the other chickens ate first and the roo waited so paitently till they were finished. Being a newby to this everything is still so new and excitin. I am so excited to walk out and see some eggs I can hardly wait...[​IMG] From what ppl have told me I think I ended up with RIRs 3 roos and 2 hens, their aproxmite age to be about 10 to 12 weeks of age so I am not sure when They will start layin, But I hope it is soon. Another thing I am not so sure about is when should I let them free rome the yard being that I dont think my RIR's have ever been in a coop before and this would be only the second day of them being in the coop. I would hate to let them out and have to go trough all the stuff not only I but the chicken of catching them with a net. I would think that it is traumatizing for them. But I hate to have them in the coop for 24/7 also. We are so confused...

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Foley-

Sounds like you're going to be a great chicken keeper! Very observant! The pullets (girls) won't begin laying until 20 weeks of age. It's a good idea to keep them on the chick grower food until around 18 weeks, then switch them to the layer feed, and also supply a bowl of crushed oyster shells in the coop, which will help the gals have good strong eggshells.

I would keep them inside the coop for at least a week, so they become well adjusted and feel like the coop is their home before letting them run around. Then, they will typically go into the coop at dusk (just before dark) on their own, and you won't need a net to catch them.

Since your chickens are a bit older, and you haven't raised them from peeps, it will take a little time before they're used to you and then they won't be so shy. I always talk to the chickens when I feed them.

You're doing a great job!

Sharon

3. Foleys

Foleys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Hello Sharon,
    We are really trying to be not just good chicken raisers but great ones:D. I thought about a week but was not for sure. Where can I find crushed oyster shells? And can I do anything to make them want to lay eggs?

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by