My Chicken Broke Her One Good Leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    The very first chicken i ever hatched is a smooth feathered silkie named Guinevere. She is 7, 8 years old? i forget exactly. Anyhow, she broke her right leg last year - not sure how. Just found her in the coop splayed on the floor. She had surgery on it and it seemed to heal, but she just never wanted to use it. So, she has lived in our house since, in a cage behind our couch. She watches tv with me and my husband.

Yesterday, she was hopping around her pen. i heard hop, hop, thud, squawking, wings flapping. Got her to the vet and xrays showed now her left leg is broken. Plus, it looks like she had, at some point, re-broken her right leg, and it re-healed in an abnormal position, which is probably why she never wanted to use it.

She goes for surgery tomorrow. Right now she's propped up on towels. i keep checking on her because she keeps trying to flap around. But now i'm thinking long term. i think i may need to build a tiny walker or wheelchair for her. i would think she would need to take pressure off her broken leg in order to heal. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, i will post pictures if i can come up with some sort of apparatus for her.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I commend your efforts. Do not take this the wrong way, I have compassion for animals. However, there comes a time when their quality of life comes into question. Consider asking the vet the long term consequences of another surgery. I think it might be wise to have the vet end her pain and suffering...I would.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    My question is,why is she constantly breaking bones? Is she lacking calcium,does she have brittle bones,something is not right. If she has brittle bones they will keep breaking.

4. babyfoot

babyfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwwwww poor wee thing, she's so lucky to have you guys. I agree with the above... why are her bones breaking so easily. Find the cause

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    My vet says she may have degenerative bone disease. She is an older chicken. i can modify her diet to increase calcium. Were she not so full of life, i would have no problem euthanizing her. i've had to do that many times over the years. But i can see she still has the will to live. So i will do what i can to help her. After i drop her off for surgery, i plan on going by ToysRUs to see if there is something i can find to modify into a sling or wheelchair for her.

i had two geese with degenerative bone disease. It was very clear when i needed to have them euthanized. It was hard, but if i need to make that decision, i will.

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes,boost up her calcium,while it will not reverse DBD it may help. Ask your vet if wrapping legs in something like vet wrap may help with protecting them from further breakage.

7. babyfoot

babyfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

I commend you. I have an old chookie I call 'Old girl' she limps and walks with an exaggerated Charlie Chaplin style walk. Doesn't cluck any more, merely whimpers but loves a cuddle. She manages to maintain a high pecking order. She originally was a caged hen rescue, clipped beak and so forth. She is I estimate approx 7-8 or so, lays an egg every four or five days and is generally happy except when the randy roosters get too amorous. Her toes break off also, she is down to three toes between two feet but manages. She has a good diet... i'm just thinking it's the way it is, we humans get sick and yet we have good nutrition. Maybe it's just genetics, all that's really important is that she has a loving owner

8. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    I have seen people make slings for chicks with splayed legs. Maybe you could do something like that? It could easily be made to keep her up off her feet. The ones that I have seen for chicks were made out of things like socks. Not sure what you could use for an adult bird. Maybe a modified baby sling? Good luck to you and Guinevere. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    She's at the vet now and they do their surgeries between 12-2:30. Any prayers or positive energy would be appreciated. Will post when I know how she's doing.

1 person likes this.
  10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    She's gone.

She made it through the surgery fine. My vet had a tech sitting with her afterwards. She fluttered then fell forward. They tried to resuscitate her, but could not get her heart started.

My heart is broken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by