1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken cant stand up?? Falling over?? Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lil chicks rule, Feb 4, 2012.

1. lil chicks rule

lil chicks rule New Egg

Feb 4, 2012
    My 1 yr old chicken started acting funny about 4 -5 day back. She seems dizzy and cant stand. falling over. We finally pulled her from the coop and put her in the sun and she just layed there. We finally brought her inside and I gave her some water which she took instantly and I feed her some cooked eggs which she also ate. Her head is quivering, but she still seems alert. Is she egg bound? The other chickens are attacking her now! Please help me figure out the next step. Im new to chickens and this experience is awful. It seems to me like she has lost her equilibrium????

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Poor hen. What breed is she?

A couple possible leads might be wry neck or Mareks. With wry neck they can seem dizzy but I would describe the neck as more not staying straight and moving around kind of aimlessly. Check this link to see if some of the symptoms sound similar: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck Try doing a search on the site on these diseases and see if the symptoms mentioned match what you see. It doesn't sound like she is egg bound. Let us know if you notice any other symptoms.

Unfortunately chickens tend to pick on sick members of the flock.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  3. lil chicks rule

lil chicks rule New Egg

Feb 4, 2012
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm not sure what kind of chicken but she's red and cream color, really pretty coloring. She's an average size chicken. I've read up on the Marek's and I think that's what she has although my boyfriend disagrees as she has no eye symptoms and she is still alive and alert. I suppose the best I can do is help her to eat and drink and keep her warm. She will be coming with me to work tomorrow. If it is Marek's, I hope I don't have to go through this with the other 4. Wish I would of known about this before I decided to raise chickens as I would of vac them all. I'll post progress or lack of as we go along. Wish us luck [​IMG]

4. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Good luck. It sounds like you are doing your best to keep her comfortable. I asked about breed because Silkie and Polish chickens are prone to wry neck, so I guess that decreases the likelihood of that condition for your hen.

5. lil chicks rule

lil chicks rule New Egg

Feb 4, 2012
    Just found out our sick chicken is infested with lice! We've had her indoors for 2 days now. Other chickens have it too. what a mess, Just bought some sevin-5. so what do you do with a sick chicken that cant walk or feed herself and cant be indoors/ and taken to work to be taken care of??? Any Suggestions would be helpful

6. homeschoolchick

homeschoolchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    Could you put the chicken in a crate in the coop with it's own food and water. Give it rooster booster poultry cell to supplement for the lice irritation and lack of eating. Avia charge 2000, save a chick, or nutridrench is also good as a supplement in water. Hand feed it egg and water and what ever else you want, every chance you get when your home.

These are suggestions I could think of. Hope it helps.

7. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Wow, that is a dilemma. Do you have a garage? You can keep her in there with a heat lamp shining on her indirectly if needed for extra warmth. Do you think she can stay in her sling unsupervised? Most chickens can do fine eating 2 or 3 times a day (before work, right after work and perhaps a snack later), but drinking is a concern. You can only do your best given the constraints.

8. heath_elisha

heath_elisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Just curious if you have an update on this hen. We have a rooster whom I thought was having seizures or something going on, and low and behold he is infested with mites/lice- even though I have treated him recently!!! I bought rooster booster too and I am hoping for a miracle......

9. Amron-39

Amron-39 New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    My chicken can't stand up. She has been like this for a week. Otherwise seems alert. Vet has no idea but put her on antibiotics and added calcium.

10. Amron-39

Amron-39 New Egg

Feb 8, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by