My chicken cant walk!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cfarkas, Dec 5, 2012.

1. cfarkas

cfarkas Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2012
    Hi, my name is Courtney. I have an approximately 9 month old salmon favorelle hen. A week ago I started to notice that her feathers (wings and tail) were drooping and she wasnt moving very much. She could walk around but she was very slow. She even let me pick her up which she has never done before. I immediatley quarantined her and she has been separated from the other 5 hens for the past week. She is very alert and normal looking. She makes a little noise when I bother her too much, she eats, and she drinks. However, I do have to pull the dishes to her so she can eat and drink laying down because she cannot walk. She will try to walk (if I make her) and uses her wings to help her but she just falls over. She CAN move her legs and push against my hands with them but she cant stand up. When she is laying down she keeps them tucked under her body. I have checked for injuries, external parasites, impacted eggs, runny eyes/ears, breathing issues and havent seen/felt/heard anything unusual. She has been going to the bathroom much less than normal. She has had one batch of VERY watery almost clear feces with a bit of green in it a few days ago. I did notice some shavings in that batch. Other than that her feces has been dark brown with a little white and is pasty (maybe once per day). None of the other chickens show any sympotoms of illness at this point. Any ideas on what this could be? I feel bad for her :( If she doesnt get better soon we are going to put her down (eventhought I dont want to).

2. drfarmkid

drfarmkid New Egg

Jan 7, 2012
    I don't have a solution for you, but I found your thread because one of my Barred Rock hens is doing the same thing. My daughter told me that she was laying on her side and couldn't get up a couple of days ago. I checked the next morning but they all seemed fine and I couldn't tell which one she was talking about. Then last night I got the same report from my daughter and my wife confirmed it. This morning I went out to check again and she is laying on her side and can't get up. I picked her up and checked her for injuries but there didn't seem to be any. I set her down trying to get her to stand but she immediately fell down. She seems alert but she can't stand or walk. She can move her legs and wings. I haven't noted any of the other symptoms you mention, but I'll bring her into the house in a box for a day or so to watch for them. All of the other chickens seem fine.

So, add me to the list of people looking for advice or wisdom regarding this issue.

3. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    Sounds like Marek's I'm afraid :(

4. cfarkas

cfarkas Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2012
    Yeah I was kinda thinking Mareks. I mean she is totally fine except she cant stand up. She is only alive bc Im taking care of her- ood, water, and I have to hold he straight up and down for a few minutes so that she will go to the bathroom once a day. She can flap and kick and eat and drink but cant coordinate herself enough to stand. Somone mentioned vitamin B (niacin and riboflavin) deficiency as a possibility so I thought I would take that avenue before we put her down. But Im not seeing any improvment :( Thanks for the response!

5. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    Sometimes with care they can pull through. Good luck.

6. 4Adobo

4Adobo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2012
    One of my chickens quit walking for almost 2 weeks. We separated her from the rest of the girls and were really at a loss for what to do next. When we first took her out of the coop, we found that she was egg bound and treated her, after she passed the egg (which was huge) we were hoping she would just stand up and go, but she didn't. I started feeding her medicated chick crumb and after a couple days she was standing up and now she is back to normal. We had to keep her away from the flock for a while to let the medication run through her system (so that we did not have to worry about the eggs). I don't know what was wrong with her, but she is fine now.

7. 4Adobo

4Adobo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2012
    I also ended up making a "hospital" cage for my girls. I made it out of the wire cube storage kit and some zip ties. It worked great because we were able to elevate the cage and her poop would fall out the bottom instead of staying stuck to her. We did have to add a rag under her body so she could sit comfortably. Just a thought so you don't have to hold her up to poop.

8. garrettpsmith

garrettpsmith New Egg

Mar 24, 2015
    4Adobo: what type of medication and how much did you give to your chicken? We've got the exact same situation at our home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by