My chicken coop design

Welcome! Love the color! Is the back of the coop more open? If it's also solid, you need more ventilation for them. It's dark and too closed in, so adding more openings covered in hardware cloth would be best. Mary

Wow.....that looks like a nice job of building. Whoever did that did a good job.

As Mary suggests..........what about the ventilation?

What would be ideal is if a design like that could be reversed, with the openings to the high side and the high side facing south to the winter sun. Windows and open vents to the south. Winter is coming and when it gets here having windows and openings to the south will make a lot more sense.

I am always amused by the ramps. The birds can easily fly up to the opening, so what they really need is a platform outside the pop door to land on / fly up to. No ramp like that is ever needed, but is traditional and cute a lot of folks include them. Again......no harm done, but still amusing.......at least to me. But I'm an old grumpy curmudgeon and "cute" isn't in my lexicon.

Last edited:
Thank you. I built air vents in the back along the roof line. I will be adding a door to shut off the vents at night so it wont get too cold in the winter. The front side with the windows is facing south so it should get enough sunlight during the day.

Howard is so right! BIG windows on the south side. Your upper vents will need to be open in winter too, or it will be too damp in there. Ventilation is more important than protection from cold weather. Mary

Back
Top Bottom