My Chicken Coop Dream

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by iwiw60, Mar 11, 2014.

1. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    This is the type chicken coop I plan on building. I'm purchasing a lean-to type shed online, and then I'll build the run by myself. For the run I'll use hardware cloth with it anchored into the ground. I'm 70 years old, single retiree, but I'm determined I can do this. My run will be longer though because they will not be allowed to free-range. Where I live there are way too many predators...racoons, fox, cats, hawks, etc. I cannot opt for a real 'small' coop as I need to be able to walk into it. Any thoughts/advice appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    This is very cute!!! I like it! I would either add an autodoor on the house part or put something down around the run to prevent the digging predators from getting in. I got a vsp from foys piegon supplies. LOVE IT!!!! I never have to worry, mine do free range but I always close the run when I get home at night to keep critters out of their food.This door shuts them in at dust (adjustable) so everyone is snug as a bug. The only loses that I have had was from a hawk. I hope your project goes well! How exciting!! [​IMG]

3. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Should I put hardware cloth on the 'floor' of the run and run it up the sides a bit? I've wondered about this but am thinking it would make for problems when trying to clean it out...just don't know the "right" way to keep predators from digging in.

Also, you said "I got a vsp from foys piegon supplies. LOVE IT!" ... I don't understand what a vsp is....???

4. JaceAgain

JaceAgain Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
  5. TOP KNOT

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
  6. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon

7. TOP KNOT

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I would dig down some around the outside of the run then place the hardware cloth down the wall then bend 90 degrees about a foot or so, then bury it. So when a bad guy has chicken on his brain he will dig then get nowhere. With it being buried it won't be an eye sore!! Anything you can do to prevent their entry from any crevice. http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/ge...or-proof-chicken-run-frustrated-dog-pics.html This is the best that I could find to give you a picture.

8. TOP KNOT

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL

9. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Got it! What's the old saying...a picture's worth a thousand words?? That's exactly how I'll do it. Do you have any thoughts on my second question:

Quote: [​IMG]
    Sorry! Just saw your answer on the last post...aaack!!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by