My chicken coop (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BlakesWife, Jul 30, 2010.

1. BlakesWife

BlakesWife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Iberia Parish, Louisiana
    I'm not sure if the photos will work...so be patient with the newbie. lol The chicken coop is 8x8. Not sure how tall the tallest peak is, but that's the "base" so to speak. It was a bit hard to build, as I did it solo when hubby was offshore. Tried my best to do 16 on center with the studs, but alas, nothing is perfect when you have no one to help ya with it. The roof rafters are far from being right, but hey, I was just winging this. Anyways, we added to the nesting boxes, in these pictures the only nesting boxes we had were seperated into 3 boxes, but opposite side to it we added an additional 6 more boxes. That pen that was on the side also went out the door, hubby winded up putting up 5' high cow wire fence and chicken fence around the bottom. I wanted something that wasn't going to be an eye sore as we have a smaller yard, so anyone driving by can see what's back there. Hope you enjoy! It's called Casa de Pollo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Very nice Thank you for sharing. I just love it when us girls get to build things. I start to and every time DH will take over.

3. BlakesWife

BlakesWife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Iberia Parish, Louisiana
    haha! I know right! I told DH "Hands off!" I didn't want it perfect, but I wanted to say *I* did it! Needless to say, DH was impressed, even if it wasn't perfect, it's still standing with no signs of toppling over. Now I'm his right hand (wo)man when it comes to projects. lol

4. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    Good job!!! Did you have a blue print? how did you come up with the design? How long did it take you to build? You have inspired me I have been wanting to try and build me a coop but haven't found the courage.[​IMG]

5. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    nice job [for a girl] LOL just kidding its a great job for a girl or a guy . Realy like all the pics shows alot of detail. if I could get my DW to build like that We could get more chickens LOL!!

6. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I am SOOOOOOO impressed. That looks wonderful. Lots of space for your girls. congratulations on a job well done.

7. OrloffTom

OrloffTom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    NC
    Wow! Very nice coop! I wish that mine could have been a tad bigger but all the lumber was free so I had to make due with what I had lol!

8. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations! I respect your resourcefulness. You have a right to feel proud.[​IMG]

9. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG] Impressive!

10. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

By gawrsh, if you can do that that well, then every woman should be building chicken coops. Anne's leaving for a lake in N.C. tomorrow where my daughter's staying for a month. She'll be back in five days. Being a thoughtful husband, I'm going to get her all the plywood, 2x4's, nails, etc. ready for her return welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by