my chicken coop!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by franzman12, Feb 17, 2013.

1. franzman12

franzman12 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Napoleon, Ohio
    [​IMG]
    This is the outside view of my chicken coop and run. (It needs a new paint job)

[​IMG]
    When you open up the outside door I have a 3x4 ft space for my supplies (food, etc.)
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture of my nesting boxes
    [​IMG]
    My roost along with another you can't see
    [​IMG]
    Indoor space (my other roost)
    [​IMG]
    My flock enjoying the yard
    [​IMG]
    Fatman my brown leg horn rooster
    [​IMG]
    My very big light Brahma hen!!!
    Tell me what you guys think !!!!

2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Looks fine to me without paint! :) Nice Birds as well! Looks like a nice set-up. Can they get into the nesting boxes OK? It is hard to tell how high up they are. The one thing that I may suggest is brick pavers at your door entrance. My gate entrances and door entrances are prime mud holes after winter thaws and heavy rains. I laid 12" stone pavers at each of these places to make solid stoops. You may not have the traffic and soils that I have so it may not be a problem.

3. franzman12

Jan 26, 2013
    Napoleon, Ohio
    Yes the chickens have no problem getting up to the nesting boxes. And thanks for the idea, it does get a little muddy. Sometime when it gets warmer I plan on adding a small almost porch off the front of it !!!

4. franzman12

Jan 26, 2013
    Napoleon, Ohio
    I'm excited to add to my flock, once chick days start at TSC!!!!

5. cjsgrlsx3

cjsgrlsx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    The only thing I see that may be a problem is the "roofing" over the nesting boxes. I would put another board on top at an angle to prevent them from roosting on top. Your eggs will be a poopy mess if they continue to roost on it.

6. TacomaChickNMom

TacomaChickNMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
    looks awesome! Jealous!

7. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Yes I missed that. Good point! I would lower your nesting boxes some or add a little walkway across the front of them with an angled ramp up for easier access.

8. jphendrix

jphendrix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    Looks great to me! We are in the process of building our on coop and run!

9. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Agreed, i'd lower the nest boxes.. they like to roost higher than they nest... Your light brahma is beautiful

10. cjsgrlsx3

cjsgrlsx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    My husband built really nice nesting boxes out of Fire House Subs pickle buckets......they couldn't roost on them because they are round (of course)! They wanted to lay their eggs in the corner. They use the buckets but prefer the corner. I placed an old milk crate with hay on the floor.....that became the favorite spot. Sometimes I find three laying eggs together!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by