My chicken died mysteriously

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by friedchickn, Jan 20, 2013.

1. friedchickn

friedchickn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    I'm just looking for some answers to how my chicken died and if it can infect my other chicken. My chicken was a wheaten ameraucana and it wasn't moving much the past 3 days and yesterday it was laying down so I went to pet her and she didnt move. Whenever I pet her she ran. So I picked her up and she was pretty cold and I tried to make her stand up but her legs seemed paralysed. Then about 2 hours after I found her she died. So any help would help thank you.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Have a necropsy done... If you're in the US, most states offer a free or lost cost service.

3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Sounds like it could be Marek's Disease to me. Their legs give out like that and then they die. If you didn't get your chickens vaccinated for it as day olds, some of the others may get it. Usually strikes between 4 months to 3 years of age. I'm sorry about your loss :(

4. friedchickn

Jan 19, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    thank you for the help

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sure, it could have been Merek's, but I think the dying process had started when she was found and that's why she was cold, wouldn't stand and seemed paralyzed. All of mine that have died from Merek's were showing a least one of the many symptoms *long* before they died.

This place might have suggestion on the cheapest way to get a necropsy done:
    http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/labs/labs_main.shtml

6. little farmer

little farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I'm so sorry. :( My one hen died mysteriously (she broke her neck, but I don't know how) about two weeks ago. I feel for you!! So sorry for you loss. :(

7. friedchickn

Jan 19, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by