My chicken died, please help me understand why.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rws09d, Dec 3, 2012.

1. rws09d

rws09d Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2012
    Tallahassee, Florida
    So its a bit for a story, sorry.
    My barred rock was attacked by a dog on the 23rd. This was my first chicken injury so forgive my inexperience. I inspected her tail because she was missing most of her tail feathers and found that it had split open. I treated that with an antibiotic powder and isolated her with fresh food and water. I was hoping she would bounce back but after a day and a half an still limping around, i inspected more thoroughly and found a bigger wound on her left side behind her leg about the size of a 50 cent piece and smelling of necrotic tissue. For the next two days i cleaned it three times a day with dilute h2o2 and packing it with triple antibiotic ointment (vet's orders). She improved rapidly. After the two days i started cleaning with dilute betadine and still packing with triple antibiotic. It was that evening i found another wound between her wings on her back, i cleaned it with betadine and packed it. the next day i notice the skin around the wound on her back wasnt attached for quite a way around the opening so i started squirting the betadine in it and squeezing the ointment as far back as i could. She has been improving daily, eating more and more, and walking very well. Today,during her outdoor time, she decided to take a dust bath and get sand in everything. I took this as a very good sign because she was bathing herself again. It came time for her to come inside and get cleaned up so i brought her in and washed out her wounds under luke warm water in my sink, she seemed to relax a bunch under the running water. She was dirty enough that i decided to use the h2o2 again to make sure her wounds were clean and bubble out any sand i couldnt get. So i started washing her back and cleaning under the skin, she started to keep her head low and breathing hard. I stopped on her back and moved to her side. While cleaning her side i noticed anywhere i touched on her leg or left front side felt spongy and i could feel the bubbles from the h2o2 popping. i stopped cleaning and tried to push out all the foam gently. It was around now that she seemed to have a stroke, writhing and contorting in my hands. I seem to remember her screaming the whole time but i cant be sure. She died in my hands.
    After i calmed down and confirmed she had passed, i had to know why, so i cut open her side where all the foam was but everything looked well. I did find a small abscess above her left leg and aside from a rather large pocket where i felt all the foam, everything was as i expected. What did i do wrong? Did i kill the chicken i spent so much time caring for? Please help me understand where i went wrong.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss... I would suspect that she developed a systemic infection from one of the wounds and that she would have needed oral or injectable antibiotics. Can you send her to a lab for a necropsy? They do them for free here in CA, even let you use their FedEx number.

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Or... one of the wounds had punctured her lung?

4. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry for you. [​IMG] but its not unusual for chickens to have 'convulsions' before they die - that happened to one of mine that died in my hands. i am pretty sure that she had an infection. maybe it spread through her body although that depends on where the wound was.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Actually, they *can* get a systemic infection from most wounds. And by wound, I mean something other than a scratch.

6. rws09d

May 31, 2012
    Tallahassee, Florida
    I dont know if i can send her off. Ive already buried her and i dont want to dig her up. Ive looked her over pretty well and im fairly confident that her lungs were fine. She may have had an infection, i was warned that could happen. Im just so confused because she was doing so well today and died so suddenly while i was trying to treat her. I really just wanted her to be okay.

7. Nutcase

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    I know EXACTLY how you feel . it happens that one of ours died just now..we think she was egg bound. it wasnt a pretty sight[​IMG]but we r not sure what the problem was [​IMG]

8. weaversfarm

weaversfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    So sorry you lost your hen, you did a good job at trying to take care of her wounds. Could she have had internal injuries that caused her to bleed inside? You would not have been able to detect that.

9. Nutcase

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    weaversfarm is right and internal wounds could play an important part in illness.

10. rws09d

May 31, 2012
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Thanks for your support guys, it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by