1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken falls over to the left and then can't hold head up..ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmtotable, Dec 8, 2011.

1. farmtotable

farmtotable Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    She is almost one year old, symptoms started today although she's been a little "off" for about a week. Doesn't want to open her eyes but she is capable of it, her eyes aren't discolored. No weight loss, eating and drinking fine, she just falls over. Sometimes she can hold her head up; but if I hold her on her back she can't. If she was human I would think she'd had a stroke. I'm really worried about her; she is usually the most loving chicken of the flock. She's a light brahma. No sign of obvious trauma, no lesions or bumps that I could find. Anyone know what this could be? Maybe Marek's but her legs aren't paralized. I looked at the pictures on the Marek's thread and she isn't laying down like that, her feet are tucked under her and her feathers are all floofed out. I'm relatively knew to keeping chickens and am thankful for any advice.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. farmtotable

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    I just checked on her and she is sleeping, but in a very sad, abnormal fashion...her head is just off to one side. I brought her inside since it's cold here tonight, she's sleeping in a box in the shower. I'm really worried about her...so far no one has posted anything...does anyone have any suggestions?

3. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    I would keep doing what your doing and just watch her for any other symptoms or improvement. Try doing a search on here for ST. Johns Wort seems to help neuro problems if thats what it is. I would worm her even if shes not thin yet they have a knack for presenting in some crazy ways.

4. farmtotable

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    thank you! I can get some St John's Wort tomorrow (we don't have 24 hour stores where I live). I have 21 chickens, and I monitor their poo daily (weird, I know!) so I don't think they have worms... she just seems so sad it's breaking my heart. So far everyone else seems fat and happy....

5. farmtotable

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    Now she is over on her side with her head stretched up and upside down (her beak is pointed to the ceiling). One of her feet is sticking straight back, so now I'm afraid it's Marek's. I would take her to the vet, but there aren't any 24-hour clinics near where I am... she is breathing evenly and doesn't look like she's suffering, so at least there's that.

6. BamaSilkies

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    As long as shes not suffering but I would cull her if you feel like she is. I know its hard but I cant stand see anything suffer sometimes its better to just let go. Im so sorry. She might go peacefully in her sleep.

7. farmtotable

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    If it's her time to go I hope she goes tonight while she's sleeping. If I thought she was suffering at all, I would cull her immediately. I can't stand that either. I just wish I could fix her....I feel so very ineffectual right now.

8. BamaSilkies

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    I know thats the perils of farming though. Its terrible. Let me know and again Im sorry.

9. farmtotable

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    I will keep you posted, I promise. I will check in with her first thing in the morning. Every time I open the shower door she stirs, so I don't want to keep disturbing her by obsessively looking at her. Thank you for your thoughts, I truly appreciate it. I know it's all part of the cycle, but I don't have any kids so the girls are my babies...sigh.

10. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry. I know it sucks to see something you love struggle or suffer.
    What about a seizure or palsy? How common are those in chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by