My Chicken Feeder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sweetshoplady, Feb 22, 2008.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    My chicks had been eating out of a jar lid and I thought it would be nice to have one of those poultry feeders that you put a mason jar in and not have food everywhere. So I made a special trip to the feed store and got a purple one. I used a pint jar at first and the brooder was nice and tidy. The chicks were happily enjoying eating out of their new service for 8.

A couple hours later, quart jar in hand. I filled the jar with starter and put it in the brooder. And I thought "good."

I went back a few hours later, I was greeted with sweet angelic innocent faces looking up at me, as I looked in the brooder and saw a massive puddle of feed on the floor of the brooder. There was still food in the purple part, the jar was empty and the feeder was upright.

Just thought I'd share that. I am so glad that I can count on my wee chickens to do something to make me laugh. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sounds like they had fun!!

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thats why we have them..........that smile on your face wipes away the days stress [​IMG]

4. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Sweet!!! [​IMG]

5. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    Brace yourself! As they get bigger and older, it only gets worse! No table manners what so ever.

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Ain't it the truth! [​IMG]

7. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    They are fun and I am amazed everyday at how much I enjoy them, I actually miss them when they go to bed at night...silly huh?

My girls figured out how to pluck the clove of garlic out of the waterer...it's just a tiny hole but they find it and drag it through every time. I can just visualize their fuzzy rumps up in the air gathered around the waterer trying to fish the garlic out. [​IMG]

8. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    Makes you want to install a closed circuit T.V. feed in there doesn't it? Can you imagine how long all of us would sit and watch them for? No dishes would ever be done by a BYCer again!

9. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    Redfeathers,
    Why the clove of garlic in their water? I haven't heard about that one, is there something I am missing on this that maybe I should be doing?

Jayare

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by