My chicken got into a fight, she is bloody, what should I do!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by glorialuver123, Feb 10, 2008.

1. glorialuver123

glorialuver123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2007
    Walworth, NY
    Ok so i woke up this morning and I think my brother got the eggs and didn't notice. But when I went outside to check on them, the coop had blood splattered every where! So i run and get them into the coop so I can examine them. Our Australorp's comb is covered in blood, and I think our Delaware did it, she is covered in blood on her face. What should I do? Should I bring the Australorp in with a friend? or what? please help me! [​IMG]

2. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    get a tissue and try to wipe all the blood off and bring her inn and you could put wound wash on her [​IMG]

3. glorialuver123

Aug 11, 2007
    Walworth, NY
    wound wash? What is that? We have a little Temorary coop when they were almost ready to go outside, should i keep her in that for a little and bring in her buddie?

4. roosters97

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    well.....i would take her in but as long as it is safe and all...and i would bring her a buddy not a bully,and wound wash is a kind of wash for wounds lol

5. glorialuver123

Aug 11, 2007
    Walworth, NY
    o yeah right! lol, ok i will try that, any other ideas can help me to

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    bring her in (no buddy right now ) and clean her up by washing off or sopping some cotton wool into sterile saline (boil 1/4 tsp salt with one quart water for five minutes and cool) ... try and exert a bit of pressure while holding the cotton wool to comb... if that doesnt work and you have no blood-stop powder then just sprinkle some cornstarch on to stop the bleeding... Later on when you are sure the bleeding has stopped then wash again carefully soaking the cornflour till it releases (again with sterile saline)... flush that all is clean and apply betadine. Keep her separated and away from the others till healed.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  7. roosters97

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    sorry i am no expert at this,lol

8. glorialuver123

Aug 11, 2007
    Walworth, NY
    thank you very much, i just talked to my mom, and she said not to bring her in, she could become more stressed, so should i or shouldn't i bring her in?

9. glorialuver123

Aug 11, 2007
    Walworth, NY
    Quote:ok, well what should i do, i don't think it is bleeding as much, but people are telling me to leave her out there, what should i do?

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Bring her in and make sure that the bleeding has stopped.

If the other birds see blood THEY might attack her too and then things will be much worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by